• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Web Browser App?

Lord Burn

Dec 30, 2012
Hey, I was wondering what the best overall web browser is for Android. I'm coming from a gen 1 iPod Touch where I just use Safari and My Macbook with Firefox, so Android apps are a bit new to me.

I have some questions about various browsers too:

Does Firefox run as RAM heavy as it's OS X/PC brethren?

Does Chrome make each tab a seperate instance bloating ram like it's OS X/PC brethren?

Are there any good Android only Browsers I should know of?

Also in general, can I import my bookmarks through an HTML file like one does on PCs?

Thanks.

I export my bookmarks from a PC as an html file (have a Chrome set and a Firefox set). Then I link to the file in my browser (Naked Browser is the best IMO) with file:///xxxxxxxx.html, and make that a bookmark in the browser. That way I have all my BM's and any I add within the browser, in one place, easy to make home shortcuts to. You can edit that html file with a background and tweak fonts:

BM4.png

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0
Like Lord Burn, I am interested in learning about the pros and cons of the browsers available for Android phones.

I use FireFox on my PC and MacBook Pro. If the "improved" Beta version of their Android browser is worth it, that would be nice to know, or if the consensus is that another browser is better, I am certainly open to trying something else out.

What are the good browsers out there that should be considered, and what about them makes them better than the stock browser?

Holly

Upvote 0
MIKES3;[URL="tel:5436504" said:
5436504[/URL]]I'm a big fan of Dolphin Browser for my tablet

I 2nd Dolphin browser. (I'm using the beta version.) It is very fast at loading content and flash loaded pages. Has a lot of customization features, along with an exit button. It has some nice addon's, especially the web to PDF. (I use this a lot to print articles and stuff.) Its not a memory hog and you can back up your settings and bookmarks. (Very useful when resetting device.) As others have said, try them out and see what works best for your needs.

Upvote 0
Dolphin HD is one I am going to try out - it gets positive reviews for the most part on Google Play, too. And as has been pointed out previously in this thread, the browsers are free so why not download and try them out until we find something that suits?

Thank you all for the suggestions, and thank you for starting the thread, Lord Burn.

Holly

Upvote 0
I have Firefox, Dolphin and Chrome installed so that I can try them in different circumstances and see if I develop a preference.

So far I consistently prefer Dolphin, but FF is the only one of the three that will display some dynamic information fields when connected to my Starband satellite modem configuration page on the wifi LAN.

Upvote 0
I've been a dolphin fan since my Casio Commando days. I feel it's the fastest, easiest, and prettiest browser I've used for Android. I've used just about all of them - FireFox is the only one I haven't used.

Chrome was the default browser for the phone, and I've found that I only had to use that for one purpose - so that the links on facebook will show a preview of a site on a post.

Upvote 0
One nice thing about Dolphin is that you can set it to get the desktop version of a Web page instead of the mobile version. I find I frequently need that.

One of my favorite things about Chrome is how easily you can zoom in on a column of text and have that column automatically reflow to fit the width of your screen. I love having nice big text to read without any sideways scrolling.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of your thoughts so far.

I have another question. On both Firefox and Chrome for Mac, I use AdBlock Plus. I know they are both by different developers, but the both work fantastically. Does anyone know if these exist for the android variants of Firefox, Chrome, Boat or Naked or if there is an equivalent?

After so many years of having these when I get onto webpages with ads its just hideous looking. This is probably my biggest priority after the RAM question.

Upvote 0
I've tried almost all of browsers available. The one that works best with the desktop user agent is "Opera Mobile" this is the only one that tends to work flawless with desktop version sites including youtube.com

All other browsers tend to render webpages (I don't know why or how can I turn this off, like its blurry first and then loads the section of the webpage when scrolling down or up). Opera Mobile is the only one that isn't plagued with this render problem and all pages are displayed from start just like native desktop web browser. It is extremely fast to load webpages.

If you use it along Adblock Plus app, no ads are displayed in Opera Mobile Web Browser while browser. Though I'm thinking of using inbuilt filter of Opera Mobile browser and I believe it will be even much faster then its current performance.

So yea "Opera Mobile" in my opinion .. :)

Upvote 0
I want to use Chrome since it's what I use for my desktop (and love)...but I can't. It's not even as good as the stock Sammy browser on my GS3 IMO. My choice is Dolphin Browser. I use the Dolphin Connect extension for Chrome to sync my bookmarks, tabs, and send webpages between my desktop and phone.

Upvote 0
(Naked Browser is the best IMO)
Naked Browser, while fast, retains all my login and password information even after I had repeatedly cleared them in the browser settings. There was no way to remove my login and password information from Naked Browser unless I uninstalled it.

Which makes me very leery of Naked Browser. I would avoid using it with any website that requires login and has my private or credit card information.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones