• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Web Browser

I've had all of the browsers installed and finally settled on xScope.

Dolphin was loaded down with too many features that I didn't use and didn't care about.

I found that xScope provides more flexibility than the default browser (including lots of tabs, intelligently managed) but is still very fast and lightweight.

Upvote 0
I used Dolphin HD for a while but once I tried XScope I knew it was for me. I really like the way the tabs work. I would use the stock browser if it were easier to switch between tabs.

I haven't paid attention to how flash works with XScope. That may be a deal killer for you.
I had a hard time using xscope, dolphin hd is extremely user friendly. I may give it another go but I couldn't figure it out in the few minutes I spent with it.

Is there a way to toggle between mobile and pc modes w/ xscope?

Upvote 0
Ok turns out I did try this (Skyfox) before when we were still on 2.1 and didn't have flash and Skyfox was touting that you could watch flash video's on their browser. I tried watching a few video's on it then and they didn't work so I uninstalled. Never really gave it much of a chance other than that. Now that I have flash, maybe I'll like it better. But dispite Dolphin getting the slowest times in that graph, I've been using it since about day 2 and I've never felt it to be slow.

I'm going to try this Skyfox out for a few days anyway.

Upvote 0
Ok turns out I did try this (Skyfox) before when we were still on 2.1 and didn't have flash and Skyfox was touting that you could watch flash video's on their browser. I tried watching a few video's on it then and they didn't work so I uninstalled. Never really gave it much of a chance other than that. Now that I have flash, maybe I'll like it better. But dispite Dolphin getting the slowest times in that graph, I've been using it since about day 2 and I've never felt it to be slow.

I'm going to try this Skyfox out for a few days anyway.
Same here, I'm gonna give skyfire and xscope another shot but dolphin just flows so well with my web surfing style.

Upvote 0
I had a hard time using xscope, dolphin hd is extremely user friendly. I may give it another go but I couldn't figure it out in the few minutes I spent with it.

Is there a way to toggle between mobile and pc modes w/ xscope?

Sure there is. All you do is swipe down from the top of the phone to display the menu bar. Then hit the little android man, at the bottom of that menu is the user agent setting.

The .apk for the old paid XScope version can be downloaded from their site. I used a PC and IIRC I just right clicked on one of the questions.

Upvote 0
Ok turns out I did try this (Skyfox) before when we were still on 2.1 and didn't have flash and Skyfox was touting that you could watch flash video's on their browser.

Is this a new browser??! :rolleyes:

With Skyfire, I was able to stream the World Cup live on my Eris. Skyfire's browser works much differently than other mobile browsers, and enables a lot of video to be played on their browser versus others that can't play it. I've always liked this browser above most all others. And with rendering on their own servers, it's much faster. xScope is quite nice as well, but I still prefer Skyfire.

Upvote 0
I use Dolphin HD but tried the trial version of xScope and loved it! Its great except if I navigate away from xscope, even for just a brief moment, my tabs are gone and I'm back at the home page. I received a call a couple days ago while doing something on xscope, I wanted to finish what I was doing before getting on the phone so I let it ring and didn't answer. When the ringing ceased and I went back to xscope, all my tabs were closed, work was gone, and I was back at my homepage.

Maybe this is just with the trial version, but does anyone know of a way to get xscope to retain your tabs if you navigate away from it? Aside from this, I love it, would purchase the full version, and would use it as my default browser!

Upvote 0
I use Dolphin HD but tried the trial version of xScope and loved it! Its great except if I navigate away from xscope, even for just a brief moment, my tabs are gone and I'm back at the home page. I received a call a couple days ago while doing something on xscope, I wanted to finish what I was doing before getting on the phone so I let it ring and didn't answer. When the ringing ceased and I went back to xscope, all my tabs were closed, work was gone, and I was back at my homepage.

Maybe this is just with the trial version, but does anyone know of a way to get xscope to retain your tabs if you navigate away from it? Aside from this, I love it, would purchase the full version, and would use it as my default browser!

Mine doesn't this. My tabs stay up until I reboot the phone. I would try uninstalling it and then get the version that I mentioned in an above post. I bet the new version that they are selling is nice but I thought I would stick with the older version since I like it and the new one is supposedly very different.

Reactions: SoDroid
Upvote 0
I'd like the stock browser a lot better if they didn't force me to keep the Verizon bookmark. Minor deal, but it really irritates me that I can't delete it. I also don't get why the bookmark list needs to show both the title and the URL, but it appears that's carried through with all browsers. Desktop browsers down do this, why would they show it on a mobile browser?

Upvote 0
Question: is there a way to full exit Skyfire without having to click back 8 million times? I like in xScope that you can truly exit it so it's not taking up any memory. I haven't found a way to do this except by clicking back until I get the option. I'm probably missing it though. FWIW, I mostly use the "old" version of xScope available on the developer's site (was not a fan of the new xScope6, especially with watermark on every page). I use xScope for my basic browsing and Skyfire for video viewing, especially with flash as I've found it to be better at centering the videos and showing it in a more viewable fashion.

Upvote 0
Mine doesn't this. My tabs stay up until I reboot the phone. I would try uninstalling it and then get the version that I mentioned in an above post. I bet the new version that they are selling is nice but I thought I would stick with the older version since I like it and the new one is supposedly very different.

Thanks for tip! I found the apk (dev's website seems to be down) and it is pretty fast! There are aspects of the newer version I prefer but keeping my tabs open is a necessity. Definitely gonna rock the older xscope for a while.

Upvote 0

Just fyi, this doesn't happen on the new version either. Should only do it if you back out, or hit the exit button.

I've tried Fennec(Firefox), Dolphin, Skyfox, and xScope(both new and old). They all have their ups and downs, but I decided to stick with xscope because it's the snappiest and fastest so far, at least for me. Plus the guy updates it regularly.

I use the new version, and love it. It has the best look and feel compared to all the others though. The only complaint I have with it is the zoom, but hes stated that hes working on it already.

Upvote 0
Right now xscope 6 is my default and IMO, it edges out Dolphin HD for the best. The default browser can hold its own but it can't be truly customized for desktop only viewing (Yes I've tried the about:debug workaround but it works sometimes)yet. It also doesn't offer a true full screen experience and the text aren't as crisp.

Dolphin HD needs to shed that big horrible address/tab bar that takes up half the screen when it loads a web page in landscape mode. That's my biggest issue with it right now. There is no need for that. Xscope 6 does a much better job in that regard plus its customization choices are very convenient and seems to be geared towards the web junkie. It's also a little quicker. Kudos to the dev and hope he keeps up the good work. To the Dolphin dev: check out xscope's interface and take note.

Upvote 0
10/9 update
1. Finally decided to abandon using stock browser's bookmarking facilities. Now bookmarks are managed within the app. The start up time should be much shorter!
2. User agent per domain is finally back. It will take effect on your next visit to that site though. Refresh doesn't cut it.

A lot of users doesn't know the long click trick yet. Please, try to long click every icon on your control bar and also hard keys to see what will happen :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones