• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bestbuy ROCKS trading in my Hero for a EVO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Ive had a different experience. Im almost to the end of my 2 year contract and I contacted 3rd party vendors and they told me they couldnt do an upgrade until I get down to the last month.

You are in the same boat I was. I showed up at bestbuy 3 months before my contract was up and after sprint refused to upgrade me. Bestbuy typed in my numbers and sold me new phones at the renewal price. The people here are so scared to try it because they fear Sprint will come to their house and tazer them or something.

Upvote 0
You are in the same boat I was. I showed up at bestbuy 3 months before my contract was up and after sprint refused to upgrade me. Bestbuy typed in my numbers and sold me new phones at the renewal price. The people here are so scared to try it because they fear Sprint will come to their house and tazer them or something.

I think it's just going to come down to who gets lucky and who doesn't. I called one Best Buy by my house and they said that if you're not eligible for an upgrade, you're paying full price.

I called the other BB by my house for laughs, and they didn't know for sure. The manager stated that he thought they may be able to offer it up for $199 to anyone, existing Sprint customer w/ or w/o upgrade eligibility, or a new customer. This should be taken with a grain of salt, however, because he also told me that regardless if you come into the store to trade in a phone (per the trade-in policy) or do it online, the gift card gets mailed to you. By taking a look at the trade-in procedures on BB's website, he is clearly incorrect, as it states pretty clearly that trading in a piece of electronics in-store will result in either a gift card on the spot, or a check (for a lesser value) mailed to you.

I also called Sprint and they didn't even have pricing info available (which is odd).

It may just come down to hit-or-miss on June 4th.

Upvote 0
I have to say one thing though, if the 2.1 leak we just got with release keys is in fact the release we get then I see Sprint having to do something for us. I haven't had audio drop problems on any of the 2.1 custom ROMs I tested but I "upgraded" to this, flashed Damageless' update.zip so I didn't lose root, and yesterday half the day went by without my phone ringing. Thought it was great cause I got to spend uninterrupted time playing with the kids and stuff. Then I go to bed at night and I had missed calls, emails, text messages all come in and no audio alert played to let me know. Had to reboot phone to get audio back. What a joke.

Upvote 0
I'm probably going to regret giving an actual opinion in this thread.... but....

If there's audio problems like that in the final release, I'm gonna have to say screw youtube. That's about the only thing I kind of want from the 2.1, working youtube. Other than that, I could care less. The speech-to-text would be nice, but if that comes at the cost of no more phone ringer or anything working, I'll say--

708353ktyzp004l8.gif

(Also, if you read that in Cartman's voice, The Game.)

Upvote 0
I went to the BB where I bought my Hero and asked about trading it in. They valued it at about $100 but said that if I traded it in on the EVO it would be towards the total retail price. They looked me up and said I am not eligible until end of the year.

Just do yourself a favor and dont assume that you can trade it in for the $199 price.

Upvote 0
I went to the BB where I bought my Hero and asked about trading it in. They valued it at about $100 but said that if I traded it in on the EVO it would be towards the total retail price. They looked me up and said I am not eligible until end of the year.

Just do yourself a favor and dont assume that you can trade it in for the $199 price.

Yes if you would be eligible the total price out the door would of been 99 dollars.
But since your not it what ever the non contract price is - the 100 dollars for the hero.

It's all retail, they get the non contract price minus the mail in rebate and minus the upgrade credit and you get 199!
Myself being eligible for an upgrade if I brought my hero in there, I would pay 99 out the door.

Upvote 0
I asked my brother who works at BB and he told me this.
My Hero is worth 125.00 trade in.
Since I just started with Sprint a few months ago, Would have to pay the 199.99 + 100.00 for an early upgrade via Sprints rules. total to around 340.00
- 125.00 which leaves me having to pay 215.00.
BestBuy and Sprint also said don't hold them to it until June 4th....... AS IT MAY ALL CHANGE......
Plus they said that they will sell out fast.

Upvote 0
Go to bestbuy.com and read the fine print....

HTC EVO 4G: Phone requires a two-year Agreement and activation on select service plan and premium data buy-up. Optional Sprint Mobile Hotspot add-on required to access Wi-Fi on device. Other Terms: Coverage is not available everywhere. Sprint 4G is currently available in over 30 markets and counting and on select devices. See sprint.com/4G for details. Not all services available on 4G, and coverage may default to 3G/separate network where 4G is unavailable. Pricing, offer terms, fees and features may vary for existing customers not eligible for upgrade. Other restrictions apply. See store or sprint.com for details. Sprint and the logo are trademarks of Sprint. Other marks are the property of their respective owners

Note the part that reads "Pricing, offer terms, fees and features may vary for existing customers not eligible for an upgrade" This is probably why everyone gets a different answer. Hopefully I get someone who can pull strings and upgrade my contract as I just upgraded 06 March 2010

Upvote 0
Like I have stated before its all about who you know. Best buy at the lower level of employees is a very crooked. Basically they can do almost anything. I was taught by the guys before me how to work the system, I worked the system, and I taught the guy after me how to. That is the real reason why everyone is getting a different. Cause every employee does things differently.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones