• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BestBuy store trying to sell me a Nexus S w/o contract for US$ 600,00

Lunatico

Lurker
Dec 13, 2010
Good afternoon folks!

Just plaing simple, it seems the BestBuy employees are trying to rip me of some US$ 70,00 to get my Google Nexus S unlocked, without a contract.

I live in Brazil, and I'm gonna use the NS under the "Claro" Carrier here (900 Band). I just went to the BestBuy store in Miami, and the seller told me the US$ 529,99 has a 2 year contract with T-Mobile (it has a T-Mobile logo in the phone), and that the unlocked version without a contract cost it U$ 600,00.

Did someone know any information about this ? I printed the add from the bestbuy website to show it to the seller, and they still argue about the 2 years contract, asking us$ 600,00 for it.

The only problem is that I could buy the US$ 529,99 (that should be free), and when I get back to Brazil, there will be a risk that the damn phone is locked.

What do you guys suggest ?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'm asking because of this: I found a link saying that the price of the Nexus S is actually US$ 599,00.

http://www.blog.best-mobile-contracts.co.uk/tag/samsung-nexus-s

I'm not sure I'm understanding the situation correctly. It makes sense to me that the Nexus S would be $600 without a contract. The phone prices always drop (sometimes even to free) when you sign a contract for the service. What ad did you print out and bring to them? Often online prices for phones are cheaper than in store prices. Whatever the price tag said in store for non-contract price would be what you pay. If that said $529.99 in store and they tried to tell you $600 then that's a problem, but if you saw it for $529.99 online and in store it said $599.99 then that's a common situation.

Upvote 0
I've never seen a Nexus S with a T-Mobile logo on it. Are you certain it's the Nexus S?

And as for pricing. It should be $529 plus tax for an unlocked Nexus S without any sort of contract. Tax on a $529 item will be around $50, so it'll be closer to $580 out the door. Buying it with a T-Mobile contract, pricing gets a little tricky. If it's a new T-Mobile account or upgrading a line, it will be $199. If it's a new line on an existing T-Mobile account it'll be $249. The contract prices have tax as well, but on the full $529, so you're paying that ~$50 tax regardless of how much you spend on the phone.

It's really strange that they're trying to sell it to you for $600, and even stranger that they're trying to sell you the contract phone for $529.

Upvote 0
Here is a link to purchase the Nexus S from Best Buy without a contract for $529.99. If you're still in the US, maybe you can order it online for in-store pick up or have it delivered to your address. From my understanding, all Nexus devices come factory unlocked so there shouldn't be a problem using it in Brazil as long as your carrier has compatible frequencies.

Best Buy: Nexus S without contract $529.99

Upvote 0
Yes, that's why it sound strange, since the BestBuy site states very clearly that the $529,99 price tag is contract-free . Anyway, I'll hit the road again and maybe try to talk to another seller (or maybe the manager) just I case, to see if it was only a misunderstanding.

I just wanted to see if someone else saw or bought it with a higher price. Apparently not!

The carries in Brazil are compatible, I just didn't want to pay a higher price for it based on wrong info.

Thanks dudes!

Upvote 0
Yes, that's why it sound strange, since the BestBuy site states very clearly that the $529,99 price tag is contract-free . Anyway, I'll hit the road again and maybe try to talk to another seller (or maybe the manager) just I case, to see if it was only a misunderstanding.

I just wanted to see if someone else saw or bought it with a higher price. Apparently not!

The carries in Brazil are compatible, I just didn't want to pay a higher price for it based on wrong info.

Thanks dudes!

Aren't you in USA? Why don't you order it online? Then you'll sure pay the correct price.

By the way, vc vai adorar o NS. Importei o meu e estou curtindo muito. S

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones