Besy way to disable Gmail App?Support

Last Updated:

1. androy

androy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I would like use HTC mail as my exclusive mail app. What is the best way to disable the gmail app? I tried deleting the account and obviously it told me I cant cause its linked with the phone. If I disable gmail sync would that do the trick or is there another step to completely get rid of it?

Advertisement
  2. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's all you should do, but I disabled Gmail Mail Auto Sync. Since then, my battery life has greatly improve as well. An unexpected bonus.

3. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

If you disable Gmail auto sync, will it have any adverse effect on the phone? Or using the market?

I still cant seem to figure out why the Gtalk service always run upon start up. I disabled it in the Google Talk settings, but it still does not stop it from running. Any thoughts?

4. androy

I disabled gmail auto sync and was still able to browse and download apps without a problem. Gtalk also worked fine.

Im still wondering if disabling google sync will completely stop the gmail app from working.

5. Trooper

Thanks for that. Now if I can only figure out how to disable the GTalk service from running on startup.

6. androy

np....

uncheck automatically login under the gtalk settings. Even though the service is still running I dont think it will effect your phone. After that, reset your phone and have someone try to send a msg to your google talk username, you shouldn't get the message. Just dont click on the gtalk icon, otherwise it will probably log you in.

In my case, I dont care if the gmail service is running when sync is off, I just dont want the gmail app to interfere with my emails while in HTC mail.

7. Trooper

Yeah I already did that. The funny thing is when I did uncheck that a few days ago, my Gtalk service stopped running on startup. I just noticed today its starting up again. Not sure what changed.

I wanted to disable it from running since someone posted here last week it was chewing up the battery. Not sure if anyone else can confirm that though.

Thanks.

8. androy

Wait for root access? Im sure you will be able to stop it then.

I cannot wait to remove CityId ! That app pisses me off.