Better Accessing The External SD Card?Support

Last Updated:

1. Kamen999

Kamen999 New Member

I'm not understanding something about how the external card works. Their is the partitioned space (Internal/SD card) on the phone. And there is the external SD card I've manually inserted into the phone. However, the only way I can access the EX-SD is when I manually plug the phone into my computer.

i.e., I can upload my music via tis route and phone acknowledges its presence and plays the music just fine. However, I want to know how do I get apps onto the external? Titanium Back-up pro sees the EX-SD card but I dont' see an option to move apps to it?

The phone is rooted and working perfectly fine otherwise.

2. maxwelbd

maxwelbd Active Member

I don't think there is a way to download directly to your external card (unless hooked to PC like you said). If I want to move Apps to the external this is what I do:

Hold down the HOME button until the "recent" window comes up. Click on "Task Manager", then choose the "Downloaded" tab. Any Apps you have downloaded should come up. Click on an App, one of the options under "Storage" should be "Move to SD card". I have moved a lot of Apps to my card, however some Apps this button is grey'd out and I can't (maybe those Apps won't function from the card, I don't know). This will save space on the internal storage but keep in mind a phone reboot will take a little longer as re-syncing apps on the ex-card takes a little extra time (no big deal really unless you need a fast reboot).

EDIT: Actually a better way is to go to Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> On SD Card. This will show you a list of Apps that can be moved to the external card. If the box is checked, then it's already on the external card. If not, touch the App and choose "Move to SD card".

Also, to manually view your SD card from the phone go to your Applications, choose "Files" folder, then "external_sd".