Better Application Management

Last Updated:

1. Brettus

Brettus Active Member This Topic's Starter

One thing I really enjoyed about my iPhone was the ease of application management. It was very easy to delete stuff you didn't want, and even easier to update ALL of your applications at once if you wanted to. To uninstall requires two clicks of your finger. To update EVERY app that needed an update was also two clicks of your finger (maybe 3).

Unfortunately, my Droid (which I like better, don't bite my head off :) isn't so easy - as some of you may know. Uninstalling an application requires navigation of a few menus, and updating all of your applications that have updates available is quite cumbersome.

I was very app crazy on the iPhone - I would try anything new, search for weird stuff, and get my hands on as many things as I could. I think that because of the lack of ease when dealing with apps on the Droid, it has stifled my "app trying" adventures a bit. I don't want it to.

Am I missing something here? Is there an app for that? I have tried aTrackDog, but I so far have been unimpressed. How do you manage these things? There has to be a better way.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I can't help you with the app updating procedure. :eek: I think this is something that will be addressed very soon ... either with an OS update, or a new app will do it for us.

As far as deleting apps, there are several methods one can use. But the easiest is probably to install "Apps Organizer". A long-press on any app name and you can uninstall it. You can even set that app up to uninstall when you just tap on the app name.

Hope this helps with one of your app issues. :)

3. spiritedcharm

spiritedcharm Active Member

Home ++ (home replacement app) allows you uninstall apps by dragging them to the trashcan. If you drag and drop from your home screen, it will just remove the shortcut, but if you drag and hold over the trashcan, you will get an option to unintall the application as well. Home ++ ROCKS!

4. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

I saw an app on the Market called "Uninstaller" (if you search for that, it should come up) which let's you manage and uninstall the apps. As far as apps installed, I go to the Market, then menu button (=), then to "Downloads" and it shows me all the apps I have installed so far and if there is an update available or not. No option for update all though :( just long press an app on that list, and option to Uninstall should appear. -droidosis-

5. Brettus

Brettus Active Member This Topic's Starter

Spirited - THANK YOU for the heads up about Home++. I checked it out, and it's great. I need to get used to the interface, but it seems to be an improvement over the default Home. I am LOVING the drag and drop uninstall.

6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Quick drag & drop = just removes shortcut
    Drag, hover & drop = Uninstall wizard