Better Battery, free wifi tether, cpu control...what to do?

Last Updated:

1. awayne

awayne Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been reading and reading and I am still a bit confused on what I should do.

All I really want to do is root my phone to allow free wifi tethering so I don't have to pay sprint another $30 a month, be able to control my CPU so I can try to help my battery a bit.... and whatever else I can do to help the battery.

What is my best choice for rooting to get what I want? And also, do I need to install a ROM to get this.

I know I need a wireless tether app for rooted phones, the setcpu app for my cpu control.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Advertisement
  2. openedmind

openedmind Member

I just rooted my phone the other day for the same exact reasons that you just stated. I used the unrevoked 3.21 method and it worked flawlessly. I now have root and didn't have to install a ROM or re-install any apps.
    I'm now running setCPU, wireless tether, titanium backup and adfree. The rooting process and the installation of the additional apps all went smoothly. It was easier that I thought. Good Luck!

3. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

Follow what ^he^ said. Just follow the rooting method in the "Rooting For Dummies" thread (assuming you are on software version 3.29) and, when you are done, your phone won't appear to be any different than it is now. However, you will be able to install all of the root only apps that you need/want (SetCPU, Wireless Tether, Titanium, AdFree, etc.).

4. awayne

OK

Root my phone - Check
    Free Wifi Tether - Check
    Install setcpu - won't install

It just keeps saying authorizing purchase when it is already showing up on my bank account..... anyone have a problem like this?

5. awayne

Ok, so I got setcpu now so all good there.

I went through set it all up and guess what, my battery sucks more then it did before.... I got almost 8 hrs and it was DEAD. I normally get almost 12 hrs out of it and that is on a weekday when I use my phone even more then I did today on a sunday.

Is there something I'm missing?

6. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

What did you do with SetCPU? Did you create a bunch of profiles and try to get it set up properly in one fell swoop? Are you on the stock ROM/kernel?

7. awayne

I'm rooted only, everything else is stock.

I setup a bunch of profiles on Setcpu.

My phone has been off the charger since about 8:30am today and in basically 5 hours i'm down to 54% left via battery status pro.

Seems like its just draing a bit too quick.... My email checks every hour so I just changed that to 2 hrs.

Any advice?

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

9. jpkotor

jpkotor Well-Known Member

if you're using the stock kernel you'll need to utilize the "perflock disabler" by pressing the menu key in setcpu, otherwise set cpu wont work. to confirm the perflock disabler worked have your max set to 998 and then go to info and run a long benchmark, then go back to main and turn down the max to like 400 and run another long bench, you should get a much longer response time.

10. BrAhMaBuLL

BrAhMaBuLL New Member

Guys I am rooted on vaelpak 2.3a. I can use wireless tetherr for not more than 10 minutes before I loose ability to browse the internet. It show it is still connected. Anyone has any solution for this?

11. xenosaga456

xenosaga456 New Member

wow thanks i was wondering y this was not working :)