Better battery without task killerSupport

Last Updated:

1. professoroffruit

professoroffruit Member This Topic's Starter

So, I've tried all the task killers since November to help save battery power and nothing really seemed to work. The solution, I got stopped using task killers and my batter last about 20% longer then it did before and seems to run faster. Now, I've read all the forums on how to use task killers and tried to follow them, but they never seemed to work. Anyone else experience this?

Advertisement
  2. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

Yes. I stopped and battery life increased.

I still have my ATK installed, but I don't have it running in the background. I'll pull it up when I think my phone is getting a bit sluggish and kill everything (including ATK) if I don't have the patience to wait for the OS to clear it out itself.

3. dreze88

dreze88 Well-Known Member

I actually never noticed any difference with or without it. I don't have one now and the phone actually seems to run smoother. If you really needed one the phone would have a killer installed.

4. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

always make atk kill itself, or you're defeating the purpose of having a task killer.

I gain about 20-30% more battery life by killing tasks that dont end themselves.

5. Keo

Keo Active Member

While I'm in here I have a question. I have Advanced Task Manager (I chose this one because it has a widget option unlike the others) and whenever I kill my programs there's something that resets my radar and I lose signal for about 10secs. Anyone know which program it is that's being killed causing this?

6. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member

I agree with the above post. Although, I use a program called Process Manager, which basically works the same way. I add exceptions to all of the normal stuff I don't want to kill (like dialer, google voice, gmail, swype.. etc), then just do a kill all every once in a while. The only time I really notice significant battery drain is when I have DoggCatcher (podcast manager) open in the background. That'll take my phone down within 4 or 5 hrs. Has anyone used Screebl? Curious on your thoughts about it.

professoroffruit likes this.
  7. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

If my phone begins to get sluggish I simply turn it off and back on. I dont use a task manager. I have astro for the install and backup features but don't use the processes. Please 2.1 has that option built in.

8. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Task killers are bad. Very bad. Don't use them unless you have rogue apps constantly running (using CPU and keeping phone awake, not just showing up on the task killer list).

The way Linux works is FAR different from Windows. Most of us here have a windows mentality coming over to these phones, as do I. Now, I did have a Moment, until recently that is, and when I had I never used a task killer except to clear out little things like games I installed to make class go by faster. It's best to let the phone do it's own thing. The more processes you kill, the more work the phone actually has to do; if you end a task, the phone has to re-open the application, wasting CPU and power, only to have it killed immediately afterward by you spamming the task killer. Leaving tasks 'running' (they're not running, they're asleep only waiting to be used) you're actually doing more good for battery life and for yourself. The applications won't take forever to open again, because they're already on standby mode waiting to be used.

Take the advice with open arms, if possible. Even since switching to the Hero (yes this phone lags a bit more than the Moment, though it's not as bad as I thought it might be) I still don't use a task killer. I've installed it, yes, but I've yet to use it yet. The phone I have, even with it's lag issues, still runs as smooth as my old my Moment. If I can get better performance from a slow(er) phone from using no task killers, I feel this should be self evident enough for others to not want to use it. I got home today with well over 47% battery left and I was streaming Last.Fm all day.