• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Better control over file saving location

pengyou

Feb 17, 2011
North Dakota
One of my biggest frustrations with Android is that I cannot figure out how to specify the location where files are saved. It seems to use a generic name. I have been told that rooting a phone and reinstalling all of the apps I want will:

- put only the apps on my phone that I want.
- will let me customize where files are saved for each app.

Are both of these true? I have just got an Android 4.x phone - am more familiar with 3.x, so maybe things have changed.

Not quite sure what you're trying to do. Apps can save files where ever they want on your sdcard/storage.

Fortunately, this problem is solved in Android 4.4 and newer versions. Apps are restricted to the locations they can save files.

Unfortunately, if you have an older version of Android, you're probably out of luck until you buy your next device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones