• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Better 'Galaxy' phone: SII 4G or Victory 4G LTE?

I am strongly considering switching from the HTC Evo V 4G to one of these devices. For the most part, I am satisfied with what I have, but I running out of space for apps (down to a little over 100 mb's out of an available 1.1 gig). For the record, I do use my SD card for most of my apps, but some have to be installed on my internal storage, including Facebook, Google Maps, and other essential apps like that. Every time those apps update, I lose more space. Also, for the record, I DON'T want to root my phone.

Anyway, that is where I'm at right now. The obvious choice might be to go with the 'S2', because of the 16 gigs (a little under 12 gigs available to the user) that it has, but the actual truth is that there is only just under 2 gigs available for apps and the rest is for pics, videos, and other stuff like that. From what I hear, the 'Victory' is pretty much the same way (minus the 16 gigs), but at least that one has Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) for an OS. Having said that, both phones still have more app space than my current 'Evo V'.

So, which device has the better bang for my buck?

None their both made by Samsung making them trash and cheap plastic. It would be better to wait for a HQ phone such as the EVO LTE. I'm jumping off VM as soon as the nexus 5 comes unless they got a good phone from HTC or LG. Mostly HTC since their phones are always HQ.

Upvote 0
None their both made by Samsung making them trash and cheap plastic. It would be better to wait for a HQ phone such as the EVO LTE. I'm jumping off VM as soon as the nexus 5 comes unless they got a good phone from HTC or LG. Mostly HTC since their phones are always HQ.

Pretty useless post that doesn't contribute to the discussion at all... I'm currently using the galaxy s2 (haven't tried the victory) and really like it. Like you I came from the evo v and can say it was a big improvement. I've also heard good things about the victory, but you probably should ask on their forums because I know some people there have both the victory and the s2.

Reactions: ragnarkar
Upvote 0
If you aren't in a rush to pick up a new phone, I'd wait and see which out of the GSIII/LTEvo/Optimus G become available on Virgin Mobile. I don't see the point in shelling out $250+ on a device that last would have been considered high-end in 2010/11 (Victory) or $280 on a phone that lacks LTE whose two generations behind (SII).

Upvote 0
If you aren't in a rush to pick up a new phone, I'd wait and see which out of the GSIII/LTEvo/Optimus G become available on Virgin Mobile. I don't see the point in shelling out $250+ on a device that last would have been considered high-end in 2010/11 (Victory) or $280 on a phone that lacks LTE whose two generations behind (SII).

You can't go prepaid with that mindset because you're always going to be getting older generation devices. Plus the newer phones will most likely be $400+

Upvote 0
I am strongly considering switching from the HTC Evo V 4G to one of these devices. For the most part, I am satisfied with what I have, but I running out of space for apps (down to a little over 100 mb's out of an available 1.1 gig). For the record, I do use my SD card for most of my apps, but some have to be installed on my internal storage, including Facebook, Google Maps, and other essential apps like that. Every time those apps update, I lose more space. Also, for the record, I DON'T want to root my phone.

Anyway, that is where I'm at right now. The obvious choice might be to go with the 'S2', because of the 16 gigs (a little under 12 gigs available to the user) that it has, but the actual truth is that there is only just under 2 gigs available for apps and the rest is for pics, videos, and other stuff like that. From what I hear, the 'Victory' is pretty much the same way (minus the 16 gigs), but at least that one has Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) for an OS. Having said that, both phones still have more app space than my current 'Evo V'.

So, which device has the better bang for my buck?

Actually bro the s2 got 12 actual gigs for anything u want if im not mistaking. But I'll say victory if u are in a lte area.

Upvote 0

How is it my Gnex is still scratchless with a couple drops but my friends htc evo lte only dropped twice but has 4 smh.

Upvote 0
You can't go prepaid with that mindset because you're always going to be getting older generation devices. Plus the newer phones will most likely be $400+

The SIII and LTEvo already qualify as "older generation devices" after the announcement of the SIV and One. I understand that devices on prepaid will be behind those on contract carriers, but not so to the point that they must be 2+ years old. Why pick up an SII now when an SIII level phone will be available on VM in a couple of months?

Also, the notion that prepaid carriers only have old phones is proving to be more and more incorrect; T-Mobile just launched its UNcarrier initiative, eliminating the standard two year contract. MVNOs other than VM have devices like the GSIII and Note II for purchase (like Ting, Voyager), albeit at a high price. Still others allow users to bring unlocked devices to use on their service.

Even if the newer phones exceed $400, the total cost over the course of two years still favor prepaid carriers significantly. The outright cost of the device is not a deterrent for many prepaid users.

Upvote 0
There is a 'Move to SD card' option that lets you use that extra space for apps.
Dude, did you read my entire original post?! I know that!!! Some apps can't be moved. :rolleyes:

For the record, I do use my SD card for most of my apps, but some have to be installed on my internal storage, including Facebook, Google Maps, and other essential apps like that. Every time those apps update, I lose more space.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones