• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Better Keyboard" app - Anyone using this?

I'm using it and really enjoy it. Before I got the Droid, I was using the Blackberry Pearl. It had a suretype keyboard (two letters per key). When I first got the Droid, I had a hard time typing on the full qwerty in portrait mode. The keys were just too small.

Better keyboard has an option for suretype and it makes it much easier and much faster now to type.

Hope that helps...

Upvote 0
Better Keyboard is better than stock, but not so great.

Touchpal (not available any longer) is better but not available.

The HTC keyboard that is floating around is better than the Touchpal version that was available.

Swype is better than them all. :)

I came from a BB as well, and thought I'd stick w/the HTC keyboard, but Swype has captured my heart/fingers.

Upvote 0
Does Better Keyboard or any keyboard offer multi-touch support?

FWIW I love swype. It took a few minutes to get used to it but after that it was smooth sailing. The only thing I dont like is I cant get it to predict a persons email. In the address line it makes me type in the whole address instead of the contacts name. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Upvote 0
I recently got Better Keyboard and have enjoyed the choice for a different color. But once in a while it will go to the ?123 screen randomly. I tried typing "install" and after "in" it would go to the ?123 screen and type out "in@)", when you're not even close to hitting that button. so that's been my only beef. Guess I'm typing too fast for the machine lol.

Upvote 0
Does Better Keyboard or any keyboard offer multi-touch support?

FWIW I love swype. It took a few minutes to get used to it but after that it was smooth sailing. The only thing I dont like is I cant get it to predict a persons email. In the address line it makes me type in the whole address instead of the contacts name. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Add key email addresses to your dictionary...works for me.

Upvote 0
I recently got Better Keyboard and have enjoyed the choice for a different color. But once in a while it will go to the ?123 screen randomly. I tried typing "install" and after "in" it would go to the ?123 screen and type out "in@)", when you're not even close to hitting that button. so that's been my only beef. Guess I'm typing too fast for the machine lol.

The period issue is small enough that I've stopped caring about it...easy to swype a .space after a word.

But the lack of auto cap is annoying...90% of my re-dos are when I forget to capitalize, or when I do the swype capitalization move and it doesn't take.

Don't know if/when we'll be able to get an update, but if auto cap was all they fixed I'd be very happy.

But beggars can't be choosers, right? ;)

Upvote 0
Until Swype auto-capitalizes and does a period after hitting space for me, it'll just be my backup. Always my backup.

Capitalizing is as simple as starting with the 1st letter, swyping up off the keyboard and coming back down again to the 2nd letter. How simple is that?

And you're already hitting the spacebar at the end of your sentence. Just simply hit the period and swype over the spacebar at the end of each sentence.

Of course, it all comes down to what you want to do, and want to learn. I find the benefits of Swype far out-weigh the learning curve. I love it.

Upvote 0
The "Better Keyboard" app. Anyone using this? And, do you mind if I ask why? I'm for all for trying a keyboard that might be better than the stock one but I just don't get it - It looks about the same as stock, right?

I've used this and found the following:

1) the app will force close at times
2) there is a lag when typing
3) the dictionary can use an overhaul

Overhaul imho the stock software keyboard is much better.

Upvote 0
I'm using it and really enjoy it. Before I got the Droid, I was using the Blackberry Pearl. It had a suretype keyboard (two letters per key). When I first got the Droid, I had a hard time typing on the full qwerty in portrait mode. The keys were just too small.

Better keyboard has an option for suretype and it makes it much easier and much faster now to type.

Hope that helps...
Soooo its like the Blackberry Storm? The multi-tap or whatever, the one with the two letters per button, I found that to be bea-u-tiful!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones