Support Better Music and Video Player?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Trojita, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Trojita

Trojita Active Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I read a review for the Droid Incredible not too long ago in which the reviewer said that he preferred to use a different Media App instead of the stock sense one that comes with the Incredible. Anyone know what app this was?

Advertisement

2. Trojita

Trojita Active Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Well I did find the app and it was a music player app that was recommended in the Droid Incredible review by Phone Arena.

The App is called

3. rgr555

rgr555 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010

4. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Sterling, IL
    btunes and tunewiki are pretty decent for music. btunes looks and feels like the iphone music player. For movies i used mVideoPlayer it does what i need. Meridian is also really popular, both are free.

5. DataSchmuck

DataSchmuck Active Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I tried a couple of them, so far my favorite is bTunes because it is fast and is much easier to navigate than the others. It's not free though. $1.49

6. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Search "rockon" in the market. It also has a built in album art finder. Very nice app that includes a cool music widget in 3 sizes.

7. rgr555

rgr555 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    cubed/rockon is a disaster for me
    album arts don't load and playlists are all weird

seems like standard music player is the best

8. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Mobile Tech Support
    Tennessee
    It doesn't seen the onboard storage. This is a feature that was included and has been crippling. 8gb of storage and we can't access it? WHAT?!

I did copy over some music to my SD card and I must agree. The album art was a little odd (though I've got Album Art Grabber, so not a big deal), it actually had the wrong art on some stuff. The player is about average. With a little work it could be a knockout app, though.

For video I use Act1. It's decent, though not much better than the stock player.

9. rgr555

rgr555 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I really don't understand what is wrong with the standard music player. Everything seems very functional and it looks and works great. I just wish there was an album cover finder for it.

Outatime likes this.
  10. drebabels

drebabels Member

May 6, 2010
    Designer/Developer
    You could try Zimly media player. I won't pass judgement on the player (because I am one of the devs working on it) but I will say this... we are one of the few players that bring audio and video together, the developers are friendly and we work our asses off trying to make it better.

As for other players... I have tried most of the other players including Cubed, Rockon, Mixzing, Tunewiki. Hell that was the reason I wanted to build Zimly in the first place... the only one I would recommend from that list is Tunewiki. Cubed has an interesting interface... but its not very functional... it's like trying to browse your music using only Coverflow (on iTunes... looks nice but not very convenient).

Anyways back to Zimly... it's free so you don't lose anything by downloading it. All I ask is for your feedback because that is the only way it is going to get better.

load97 likes this.
  11. Eloquence

Eloquence Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    My preferred player is Mixzing. :) It's convenient, has a great lock widget, and always downloads (when it can) cover art. It's free, but I know that Lock widget is going to disappear on me soon, so if you want that you have to pay $6.99 for the full version -- a little steep for an app, I know.

However, to me, it's the best. :D

Hope that helps,
    -Elo

12. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    just downloaded. looks ok, if a bit sparse for now. the real problem is that it didn't find the media on the internal storage - only on the SD card.

13. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    I actually like the standard HTC sense player for music

for movies I have been using tunewiki

14. load97

load97 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Plumber Extraordinaire
    Minnesota
    I bought it last week. Trying to work with the Dev on getting .m4v file metadata to show correctly/at all.(episode name, TV show name etc)

15. drebabels

drebabels Member

May 6, 2010
    Designer/Developer
    Are you using an Incredible? I had someone else contact me about a similar problem on the Incredible. We haven't had a chance to look into the issue yet, but it is on our list of things to do.

And by the way thanks for downloading Zimly. It is still an early stage project, and it might not make you change your mind about using the stockplayer yet... but it will one day soon. If you have any suggestions on how to make it better, please do tell us.

16. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Seattle
    the favorite players on xda-developers is btunes, Meridian, and the acer "nemo player"..

So far im leaning towards the nemo player.

For you health.