Better way to select text (smear)Support

Last Updated:

1. sparkdroid

sparkdroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have an x10 (which runs Donut 1.6) so maybe the newer versions of android have addressed this but....

When selecting text on a touch screen, it sucks because your fingers block your view of the selection curser. I am not a huge fan of the magnification bubble that I've seen as it also blocks some of your screen.

I would like to propose a new selection behaviour that behaves like smearing paint on a sheet of paper. To select several words from a paragraph you would start the selection process (This would most likely be from a menu item "select text") and then touch somewhere inside your desired target. Then you would smear the selection highlight to one end and then smear it the other way to expand the highlighted area. You can smear back and forth as many times as you want always expanding the highlight until you lift off the screen. If you select too much, you need to cancel but I don't think this will be a problem often.

This behaviour is very similar to the current selection function except that when you start moving the other way it leaves the highlight at the max position you reached so you can go the other way and select where that max position should be.

With the current method if I don't place one end of my highlight correctly, I have to start over. This usually happens multiple times which is annoying.

Please comment and let me know what you think of this idea. Also, let me know if I'm not clearly conveying my idea.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

I also find the stock 'Select text' very annoying. I always have to try multiple times to select the right text, sometimes I just give up.

3. sparkdroid

Why did this get moved to the x10 forums? This is a general topic (not x10 specific). I just added that I have android version 1.6 so someone with a newer version could correct me if what I was thinking already exists.

4. MrWomble

MrWomble Well-Known Member

because you said you had an X10 - bonkers but hey

5. sparkdroid

Can it be moved back into an appropriate mainstream area where people will read it??