Better Weather?

Last Updated:

1. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hey, just wondering what you guys think is the best weather app? it probably comes down to the weather channel or weatherbug... i have been using weather channel but i noticed the 'update time' thats located at the bottom of the screen is not kept up at all, like usually it's 45 minutes behind. On the other hand i just tried weather bug and it will update instantly (even with GPS/etc) turned off...

weatherbug also has a way better UI, but the thing i hate is that the map doesn't animate UNLESS you buy the weatherbug elite --
    what do u guys think of the weather channel vs weather bug?
    and if u have weatherbug elite, how is the animation on the weather map?

Advertisement
  2. Ninthwonder

Ninthwonder Well-Known Member

I just use beautiful widgets for all my weather needs...

3. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Beautiful widgets is great, but it definitely can't compare to a dedicated weather app. I use weatherbug, seems much more stable than the weather channel app. I use beautiful home for a weather widget, if I need any kind of real detail though in the current weather I'll give weatherbug the go.

4. kraze0g

anyone happen to get weatherbug elite? its the version with that includes the animated weather maps and no advertisements (i feel the static weather map in the free version is kinda pointless unless u can see where things are moving toward).

~ i like weatherbug also because it has a nice and simple widget that can update as you like it and with one click u can get the full forecast. it also has the option of following you weather and u can toggle if you want GPS enabled so that it doesnt suck up much battery. loving it more than weather channel ~

5. Patmos

Patmos Active Member

+1 :d

6. mtrish88

mtrish88 Member

I use the weather channel app...i dont use weatherbug because when it was on my computer it had viruses, so i use weather channel and plus i trust weather channel. It may be 45 mins behind but it still works and the map is so much better and it works great in my area and i watch the weather channel all the time.

7. anjoga

anjoga Well-Known Member

I really like the weatherbug app. Seems like a quality app. I like how I can display the temp in the notifications area. I can't find that ability on the weather channel app.

8. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

I use Weather Bug and use a WEATHER bug widget on my home screen.

9. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I use Beautiful Widgets and use Weatherbug Elite (as an app, not the widget) when I need more extensive weather information. Radar Now! is a cool free app for viewing live animated weather conditions for your region.

10. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had major issues with weather bug FCing and lagging the phone.

Problem with weather channel is that a lot of times the widget is blank until I go into the app and when I come back out it's been updated. :mad:

11. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

i also use either beautiful widgets home or pure weather widget for my weather widget and weatherbug elite for more detailed weather. my only issue i've seen with weatherbug is occasionally it will somehow go beserk and keep my phone awake, which ofcourse drains the battery faster. i've had this twice. i don't like the weather channel app and the widget is pretty fugly too.

12. andrewrodney

andrewrodney Well-Known Member

I do, works great, very happy.

13. schimm

schimm Well-Known Member

Weatherbug elite....'cause it's pretty much a comprehensive package with radar included. Extended forecasts, hourly forecasts and current conditions in detail. Seems to take it easy on the battery too. I still use the beautiful home (small) just 'cause the skins are so cool....so I have weather on two of my three screens (back to default home).

14. ccousinsjr

ccousinsjr Well-Known Member

GenieWidget (2.1 News and Weather)

15. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

I use Weatherbug elite, love to see the "live" photos from Michigan, and be glad that I am not there this winter :cool:

16. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

My life and business is permanently attached to weather. I downloaded all of the Android weather apps. I tried them all. I kept and use daily, two of them. Weatherbug Elite and Radar now. I was really skeptical initially about WB, as I had had some glitches with it on desktop applications. But it is so far ahead of he Weather Channel and Accuweather on Droid there is no comparison. No glitches for me either. The big thing is the SIZE of the interactive radar map. It is the whole Droid screen. Radar Now is more of a current weather snapshot view of a smaller radar coverage, and just current conditions, but is really useful for a second opinion compliment to WB.

17. speedracr13

speedracr13 Active Member

I used the weather channel app for a long time because I'm a fan of weather.com. I hated that the app would give me weather alerts (the red exclamation point in the status bar) all the time. Any time it would rain I'd get a flood warning for some remote area that doesn't affect me at all. God forbid it should snow, constant Winter Weather updates. It got really annoying and I couldn't find any option to turn the notifications off.

First thing I did when I installed weatherbug was open up the menu and rejoice in the fact that I could turn that crap off. I have beautiful home for a quick glance at the temperature and weatherbug if i want the full forecast. seems to be working pretty well for me.

18. kraze0g

is there a way to choose different 'live' photos or video? or do u simply select a different location's weather which will change the camera/video automatically?

19. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I use Weather Widget Donate. Gives my Droid the HTC style feel, which I coveted. Absolutely love it.

20. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Also, I've been using Radar Now for current local radar. At my location it's accurate to within 5 mins.

21. kraze0g

just looked at that and it looks nice, but doesnt it take up a lot of space on the homescreen? -- i'd prefer something a lil more compact so i can fit other things on there ;\

22. themaker

themaker Member

If you long press on a location that you want to make home, the temp will then show up in the notifications bar in the Weather Channel App.

23. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

There are 1x1, 1x2, and 1x4 widgets available in the elite version. In the free, I'm not positive but I think the 1x4 isn't available.

24. JDW

JDW Well-Known Member

I use WeatherBug free version and the temp never seems right.
    Always off a few degrees from other sources.

The top bar doesn't always update till I open the app, and lately, I see it sitting there "syncing" for several minutes until I open the app then it settles down. Kind of bumming me a bit.

25. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

Just select different locations, and you can scroll through the weather and pictures of each location

And I am flying to Michigan soon :mad: