• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BetterCut / AnyCut and Phone Contacts

brykins

Android Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Not sure if this is a Desire problem, an HTC Sense problem or a Better/AnyCut problem but has anyone been able to make a direct icon to call or text a phone contact with either App?

I don't sync contacts or calendar to Google but use HTC Sync to sync with my desktop Outlook. It all works well, but of course it means I have no Google contacts on my handset, only phone contacts. Seems that Better/AnyCut can't see these.

I have emailed the dev but not got a very helpful response, so wonder if I am alone with the issue.

Not sure if this is a Desire problem, an HTC Sense problem or a Better/AnyCut problem but has anyone been able to make a direct icon to call or text a phone contact with either App?

I don't sync contacts or calendar to Google but use HTC Sync to sync with my desktop Outlook. It all works well, but of course it means I have no Google contacts on my handset, only phone contacts. Seems that Better/AnyCut can't see these.

I have emailed the dev but not got a very helpful response, so wonder if I am alone with the issue.

I have Direct Dial and Direct Message shortcuts available on my Nexus One when I long press on the desktop and select 'Shortcut'. I presume that these are native functions (although I do have Bettercut installed).

I can also create them with Bettercut, using long press - Shortcuts - Better Cut..

Upvote 0
Sorry - didn't make myself clear. Desire can also do the shortcut - it's a standard Android thing I think - but that just gives an icon and the person's name underneath. Better/AnyCut allows you to rename the icon so it can say "Call Bob", "Text Bob", "Bob Work", etc, instead of just "Bob Jones".

Any/BetterCut both work on the Desire as well, just ONLY for contacts saved as Google contacts and not phone contacts.

Upvote 0
Sorry - didn't make myself clear. Desire can also do the shortcut - it's a standard Android thing I think - but that just gives an icon and the person's name underneath. Better/AnyCut allows you to rename the icon so it can say "Call Bob", "Text Bob", "Bob Work", etc, instead of just "Bob Jones".

Any/BetterCut both work on the Desire as well, just ONLY for contacts saved as Google contacts and not phone contacts.

Ahhhh!

Okay - I've got nothing to offer then, sorry :( Only got Google contacts as I pipe everything through Google to my Mac (and back)...

Oh..

You might be able to do something with a free app called Pager - you can setup direct texts with it. I use it to send a text to my girlfriend when I leave work..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones