• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BetterCut Eligible Contacts?

arsesq

Lurker
Oct 11, 2010
I'm trying to use BetterCut to create one-touch phone icons on my Droid X. I hold my finger on the screen and get the Add to Home Screen list. I select Shortcuts > Better Cut > Direct Call, and get a list of contacts. But there are only 3 contacts there, out of 400+ in my Contacts list. The one I want isn't among them.

What qualifies a contact for inclusion in this list? All I can guess is that being a Favorite may have something to do with it, because all 3 candidates shown are Favorites. But I have more favorites than just those 3. Can anybody tell me how to get other contacts into that list; or, alternatively, how to pick directly from my contacts list?

Thanks to you both for your replies. Now I can give up banging on the thing and go try something else. It's not like I've got a lot of money sunk into the app.

I did notice that the three contacts which do appear are all linked to Google, whatever that means, and the fourth isn't. I wonder how I link that one to Google? (I don't use the Google Address Book or Contacts for anything.)

Upvote 0
I was playing around with my contacts for another reason and may have stumbled on the answer. "Contacts" on an Android are like a view in SQL or even your universal inbox - they can come from many places and are just presented in a consolidated list in the Contacts list. In my case I think what happened is most of my contacts were on the phone but not on Google. I did an Export to SD/Import from SD (I don't recommend doing this unless you know exactly what's on Google for your contacts) and then everything showed up in Bettercut. It seems that the filter they're using to display contacts is not the same filter the phone uses. I haven't dug into the SDK enough to know the exact answer, but it definitely has something to do with which ContactProvider Bettercut is looking at.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones