Beware if you travel over the border to Canada w your DINC

Last Updated:

1. pdavey

pdavey Member This Topic's Starter

Recently took a trip to Niagara Falls Canada and continued to use my DINC for data. It did not say it was roaming or give me any notification that something was different but much to my surprise when I got my bill I had over $40 of charges for "Global Data Usage".

Again the phone didn't give me any indication anything was different so be aware. I am going to call VZW on Monday to see if they will give me a break on it but wanted folks to be aware.

Advertisement
  2. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

Well its common sense to me that Canada doesn't have Verizon so really its your own fault, BUT for future reference, if you go into setting and into mobile network and click the "Home Only" option, it will not allow you to roam when you leave Verizon netowkr ever, until you untick the option.

3. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 Well-Known Member

I traveled to canada and switched my plan to a global email plan. it went from 29.99 to 59.99 i was there for 4 days and they prorated the plan for those 4 days it cost me like a couple of bucks a day. the phone call portion was very expensive 79/min. but unlimited data and unlimited non picture text.

dhbuckley and pdavey like this.
  4. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

40$ extra is pretty damn lucky.. international bills without the correct plan can get way up there.. the highest I have seen in the news was $22k.

5. gvillager

gvillager Well-Known Member

This can be said about any mobile phone on any carrier US carrier, not just the Dinc.

6. killadanny

killadanny Well-Known Member

Glad it wasnt higher :eek: There was another thread in the lounge that someone took their EVO and got a 22K bill..heh :)

7. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

its interesting how i almost went to canada a week ago and didnt think of my phone at all, but when my sister mentioned going to japan i immediatly thought of how i was going to handle her cell phone during that time. (shes on my account)

8. marcm1

marcm1 Member

I was up at Niagara Falls the other day on the American side. We thought about going over to the Canadian side but the line was long and we didn't have passports so thought we might not get back. Really glad I didn't go because I would have had my Dinc with me and taken pictures, e-mails, etc.

9. BetaMan

BetaMan Well-Known Member

Good info. Thanks for the "Heads up"

10. BlueSnake01

BlueSnake01 Well-Known Member

Tell me about it, i went to Mexico, bill came out to $236!!! Never did once use the phone for data! I called and complained to the supervisor best thing they were able to do was only 50% off. When I had my Storm, I was never charged for roaming data and I never made changes thru my plan either. Does google collect data even when you don't use the phone or what?

11. danielzink

danielzink Active Member

When the wife and I go to Toronto we just turn off "data roaming" in the settings (a tip learned on this board).

The we just check for open wifi wherever we go and check our emails then etc.

12. dragonsamus

dragonsamus Well-Known Member

I just went and unchecked the roaming option. I'm good now. :)

13. DROIDdidME

DROIDdidME Well-Known Member

Lol same here...better safe than sorry!

14. JE78

JE78 Well-Known Member

Being so close to the boarder sometimes it will get a US tower and sometimes a CA tower. I was in the same boat a few years back. I went to Niagara Falls for a bachelor party and made a few calls. Some charged me the roaming fees and some didn't. I didn't have data at the time so I can't really comment on that.

15. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's it "common sense" as has been mentioned here. Companies are there to make money off a customer not being informed, and then saying "eh, it's just easier to pay than fight it".

The BEST plan of action is to know your plan and what your charges are.

Also, if you've never heard this: VerizonMath: Original Recording of Verizon Customer Service Call , you should!

16. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

I love this phone call :)

17. jes0212

jes0212 Well-Known Member

It's happened to me before on a blackberry. I was probably 15 miles away from the border and I picked up Canadian towers. Yet I was still stateside. Had no idea until I received the bill as well bc I didn't have the roaming icon. Verizon is pretty good about taking care of those sorts of things.

18. tfalk

tfalk Member

And if you happen to go on a cruise ship, shut the damn phone off and LEAVE IT OFF.

We went on a cruise to Alaska a couple of weeks ago... try $2.49/min for calls and I think text messages were .75/.50 each. Ouch...

19. nfotiu

nfotiu Well-Known Member

this really is a great, reasonably priced option. Especially with the prorating.

20. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

......... I thought Canada was the 51st state??? ;)

21. Robhimself

Robhimself Well-Known Member

fyi this often happens to people that visit the falls on the american side too. Im from western ny and I know my gf has had the issue on ATT.. I dont know if you want to call about it but it could help.. I mean its only a few hundred yards from the US

22. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I disagree with this statement "...common sense and it's your fault" :rolleyes:. When I first signed up with VZW in 2002, their plans included Canada, Mexico and P.R. So, I was grandfathered in on for a bit. They pressured me with all sorts of promises and incentives to get me off of it onto a new one. I did. I regret that move.

So, does the OP lack common sense and is it his fault? No, not really. You really have to be extra careful, these days. It is not unreasonable in the least to expect phone service in Canada. As I said, VZW had it but ended the service a few years ago.

If I was the OP, I'd call CSR with his situation. In that past they have adjusted my bills for accidents like this.

I have children. Several years ago, before free texting, I got a 60 dollar bill for my daughter's texting. I called VZW and they adjusted the bill and put me on free texting.

23. Steven58

Good point. I'm moving this thread, therefore, to the VZW thread. +1

24. Steven58

No silly. Canada = America Lite! :p

(Steven runs)

25. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

Yeah , but off ship your fine when your in alaska .
    I turned mine off, only turned it on when I was physically in alaska, then it reverts back to your usual plan/charges.
    Though beforehand I put on my extra strong reading glasses and looked at fine print on contract