Beware of Kies 1.5.3.10103_100

Last Updated:

1. hsnewman

hsnewman New Member This Topic's Starter

I have been lurking on this forum for the two months that I have had my Captivate. I first want to first thank the many people on this and the XDA fora who have helped me root my phone and install too many apps for my own good. One of my goals is to use Kies to sync my Captivate with Outlook on my desktop (no exchange server, no download via Google). Kies 1.5.3.10093_82 installed on both my Vista laptop and my Windows 7 laptop recognizes my Captivate with no trouble. I have been unable to make it work on either of my XP desktops. Now to the issue. Last night, on opening Kies on my Windows 7 laptop, the program suggested that an upgrade was available. I installed version 1.5.3.10103_100. Kies would no longer recognize the Captivate. I rebooted everything, reinstalled the drivers, then rebooted again. Still no joy. I deleted the new version, ran CCleaner to clear the registry and reinstalled _82. All is well again, I think.

Advertisement
  2. bumwithshoes

bumwithshoes Active Member

thank AT&T,they strong armed KIES to not include the Captivate in latest update,they don't want us to tether without paying xtra.

3. bmoliver

bmoliver Well-Known Member

I found that earlier version of Kies would work ok right after initial installation, but not again after that. Only a reinstall following a registry clean would allow Kies to work, and then only once again. This was with both Win 7 and XP.

4. compscidev

compscidev Well-Known Member

how in hell does att expect us to update to 2.2 when it comes out

5. bumwithshoes

google for older version KIES, and uncheck auto update.

6. braj

braj Well-Known Member

Is it possible for someone to post a link to an older version?

7. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

From one of my previous posts:

No guarantees, of course, but if I could make Kies work with my phone anything's possible. Note the Kies version that I used - that's important. Search Google for a download link for that file if you don't already have it. Also, don't upgrade Kies or futz with any other buttons in the program after it's installed. It wasn't broken so I didn't fix it.

- I made sure that any previous version of Kies was gone
    - Assured that previous Kies folders were empty
    - Searched my registry for the string \kies and deleted all instances
    - Installed Kies_1.5.3.10083_66.exe
    - Fired up Kies
    - Placed USB phone setting in Kies mode
    - Rebooted phone (just felt like it)
    - Assured phone remained in Kies mode
    - Connected phone to PC via USB cable
    - Watched while drivers were installed
    - Gasped in amazement when Kies and my phone introduced themselves to one another

8. bumwithshoes

turbobit.net/i8v2c4oixldz.html

9. dmp316

dmp316 Well-Known Member

last night my i did the same upgrade to Kies and my phone was unable to be found in Kies. Windows & found it tho. Un installed it and reinstalled the old version i had, and my phone worked perfectly with the kies again

10. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

The whole think is so pathetic. An update is suppose to make things better but alas it craps right on it.

11. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Pathetic is correct. I would be embarrassed if I told you how many hours I invested before finally getting Kies to work with my phone. Things like this, along with poor support, poor communication, etc. has created an us vs. them mentality. How sad.

12. compscidev

compscidev Well-Known Member

So is kies really needed at all?
    will froyo be OTA?

13. Kelly84

Kelly84 New Member

I'm still not sure what I am doing wrong... I had installed kies on my ASUS laptop that runs windows 7 and it wouldn't recognize my phone. (Galaxy S Vibrant - big surprise). I was reading about it and read that my phone was not compatable with the kies. When I told my boyfriend that, he DL the Kies on his laptop, which also runs Windows 7. He plugged my phone into his computer and Kies recognized it AND said an update was available. When he tried to update the firmware, it took some time and then eventually said my phone already had the latest software update and it's running 2.1. So the update cancelled itself. However, there were actually a few minor changes in my phone after doing this... confused.
    Last night I plugged my phone into my laptop hoping that 2.2 just MIGHT be available and that after it recognizing my phone on my boyfriends kies it might do the same for me now. No. It did not. Instead, it said there was a new version of kies bla bla bla. I was excited I thought this might mean recognition AND 2.2 (I'm greedy!) so I updated my kies, it took about a half an hour, then I got "fatal errors"... WTF?? I don't know what I am or am not doing to make this all work together. Bell, knows nothing (another big surprise) and can't offer me any information. I know some people in Canada are getting 2.2 on thier devices. Help me. What am I doing wrong? Will I need kies to update in the future should 2.2 be available to me? Why can't I seem to grasp kies, and are the rumours that FROYO is being pulled back true?

14. bruceinman

bruceinman Active Member

The 2.2 update should come OTA.
    Kelly, for your Kies issue, do not update as stated in this thread.
    If you have your old version, uninstall your current one, install your old one and turn off the auto updates.
    I reverted my version and can connect, althought it sometimes takes several attempts of reconnecting my device.

On another note, I recently got my replacement phone which had version JH7, I noticed that it had PC connect (tethering) as one of the connections options. I checked OTA updates and one was available. After installing it I found it was just JH7 w/o PC Connection.

F*n AT$T!