BGR: LTE Leaked Speed?

Last Updated:

1. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Are these Verizon Wireless LTE speeds? Boy Genius Report

AMAZING speeds, if it holds true. What do you think? If this is the case, no wonder Big Red is thinking of capping data and tiering it. With speeds like this, I may drop my home DSL and use my mobile hotspot, even at $20/mo. would be a bargain over the $60/mo I'm paying for Road Runner with Power Boost.

Advertisement
  2. SFBayArea

SFBayArea Well-Known Member

Um, not sure who pulled those speeds, but I just moved to a new place and while waiting for the cable company to install my internet used my DINC as a hotspot, the speeds I was getting are 1.5-3MB/sec which is still very much not bad, but definitely not 12MB as showed in the link. Besides my speeds were very sporadically and jumpy.

3. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

Those are 3G speeds, and pretty good at that. However, the report's about 4G (LTE) which the Incredible can't even do.

4. Old Member

This is not current internet speeds, this is the speeds claimed with LTE is released and rolled out to the masses. You are right that currently the 1.5-3MB is what you should be getting. IF and that is a very big IF, speeds are that fast, goodbye Road Runner, hello 3G Hotspot $20.

5. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

Except by the time Verizon gets LTE rolled out next year, RoadRunner will have upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0. 50MB down/5MB up with pings of <10ms is going to make LTE seem pretty doggy in comparison. Unless LTE is going to bring latency down to a usable level... on 3G, pings over 300ms are still pretty much normal.

6. Old Member

Not really sure what all that means :eek:. Are you talking about fiber optics? I know if data is ever pushed through fiber optics, it's supposed to be revolutionary.

7. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

This sounds great. Now, if they can get 3G speeds to go faster than 500 Kb in our local area, that would be great.

8. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

lte ping time should be around 30ms

9. Old Member

10. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member

layman's terms, the time between when you request a page and the page starts sending data to you. I guess, not a sysadmin, just a geek :)

11. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

That is expensive, I have Uverse and I am paying $40 for a 12Mb connection

12. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I pay $60 (I think, it's in a bundle) for my Fios connection, but it's 35/35 :D

As far as LTE, VZW has been mentioning it will be great for gamers. I take that to mean low latency, but we shall see...