BH_MAN - Question about a theme

Last Updated:

1. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Exaqtion

Exaqtion Well-Known Member

Most likely you would be wasting your time =( . Most others are so far with their rooted phones, such as years on the g1, and we only just started to touch base. That's the main reason I won't root yet until there is version 2.0 released or until someone makes a theme worth using, such as the one you were looking at.

3. microhaxo

microhaxo Well-Known Member Developer

Dont confuse the word root with being a custom rom, they are completely separate things. Root is essentially a permissions change from the default.

Rooting your phone will not change how the phone functions, it just changes what you can do.

4. spiz

Yeah I already have root, that's not the issue. It's just that a lot of that stuff over at XDA is over my head, so I was wondering if it were possible to use that ROM on my rooted phone.

5. chadmd23

chadmd23 Well-Known Member

I think you are confusing a lot of concepts here. Rooting your phone is only a process to gain root access to your phone, it doesn't change anything with the normal operation of your phone or change the battery life or the look of the phone. To change these, you would either want a custom ROM (2 available for the BH2 now) or a home replacement (many available from the market). Also there are custom themes for these custom ROMs, called Blue. One last FYI, you will never see another phone with 2.0, since 2.1 has superseded it already.

6. Exaqtion

Does this matter? Root allows Custom Roms which allows Themes. Referring to what he wants.

7. Exaqtion

Well anyway. I was just trying to tell him we are a little way from that. Everyone else was just viewing and not helping so I thought I would try. Everyone all of a sudden comes here to correct me though?

8. chadmd23

chadmd23 Well-Known Member

I just see so many posts of people says "don't root!" Well I just wanted to clarify that you can root with little risk to the normal operation of the phone. I have rooted, which allowed me to delete many apps that the phone ships with that I do not use, but used up storage and cpu cycles. And now that there are ODIN files for factory restoration, even if you over delete files, you can restore your phone quickly and easily. I just wanted to clarify some statements you made.

And here is the link to a custom theme for the BH2:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-behold-2/56188-super-blue-galaxy-1-6-a.html

9. SoulCreator

SoulCreator Well-Known Member

Yeah I was thinking about trying to run MetaMorph to install themes myself... But I've got no clue it will work on a bh2.

But then again I don't see why it won't, I mean all it needs is root and busy box.

10. BH_MAN

BH_MAN Well-Known Member

To answer your Question, Yes it's Possible to have that on the Phone.
    Root Don't mean 100% Custom Rom's as Everyone has Found out btw... The BH2 is a Whole New Breed of Phone that Deals with RFS Security.

Yes, Having Root Open's the Door, it's Just a Matter who has the Key for the Door is all per say....

11. spiz

Thank you. At the link I provided, it shows an Advanced Launcher version. Does that mean that I can install AdvancedLauncher for Donut and make it work? Or would it require something else? I'm sorry if this is beginner stuff, but I've never actually tried to theme and would like to learn. Thanks again BH_MAN!

12. BH_MAN

BH_MAN Well-Known Member

You can Try it... I only skimmed over it a Bit.

13. spiz

Could you possibly give me a little direction? I have downloaded the compressed file which contains two folders: "app" and "META-INF"

The "app" folder contains a file called "Launcher.apk"

The "META-INF" folder contains the following:
    - A directory that looks like this: com/google/android/update-script
    - CERT.RSA
    - CERT.SF
    - MANIFEST.MF

I'm not exactly sure what to do with this compressed file. Any ideas? Thanks again!

14. 2FR35H

2FR35H Well-Known Member

I would like to get into theming as well and I think the best place to start is the themes forum over here and at XDA developers forum.

15. Exaqtion

Oh ok, i understand what your saying. That is a good advantage, but as you can see I really only root for themes/roms. lol I will root sooner or later, just waiting for something to really catch my eye. Rooted G1 vs Unrooted G1 to me was almost the same other then the themes, and i feel the behold will be the same, but even worst because of the varity of themes so far. If hero is ported then I will be rooted ASAP though. Until then I will enjoy the touchwiz.(Yeah, I said enjoy lol)

16. spiz

Keep in mind that one of the biggest advantages to rooting is gaining a huge performance increase by removal of bloatware and overclocking.

17. Exaqtion

Of coarse, but I've haven't had any problem at all with the performance, and don't mind the bloatware.

18. spiz

In case anyone is wondering, the theme I linked in the OP is the theme BH_MAN used in his newest 1.6 ROM (R8) with Android 2.0 icons. Very sexy in my opinion!