@BH_MAN: Question and Suggestion

Last Updated:

1. megabiteg

megabiteg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

BH_MAN,

I was rooting my wife's G1 the other day with an updated image of Cyanogen and I noticed something:

You discussed that the problem the Gallery app was having is related to the phone secondary internal storage which doesn't exist on the BH2. After I set up the APP2SD on my wife's G1 I notice that the SD Card & Phone Storage section reflected:

External SD Card -> Was the FAT32 partition mounted on the mmcblk0p1
    Internal SD Card -> Was the ext2 partition mounted on the mmcblk02p2
    (it displayed accurate size and amount left on the partition, something I don't see happening on the BH2.)
    Internal Phone Storage -> the phone memory available.

Could this be replicated or point you in the right direction of how to assign the different mounted partitions on the OS? I know your are already doing a hell of a job by porting the Galaxy 1.6 ROM to BH2 but I just wanted to know if this information could be helpful to excel your work on this subject, bringing stability and better performance overall.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. ericjwill

ericjwill Well-Known Member

This makes a lot of sense actually from a Linux point-of-view.

The internal storage on the Galaxy, the base of our beloved 1.6 BH_MAN Donut ROM, probably has a device entry in /dev (lets just call it /dev/block/inmem)

If we could remap or symlink /dev/block/inmem to a null device (probably not best) or back at /dev/block/sdmemory (just using this for argument's sake) we may have our bug fixed!

I have not dug around in the inner workings of the ROMs, but this is my assumption to how they work.

3. megabiteg

LOL I thing we can call this technology drive2sd :D

But very true what your saying. I think we can try to use the extra resources from the OS to our advantage in the sake of creating a more stable environment. What you have described is fully logical and maybe (I haven't taken a full look yet on how the BH2 / Galaxy work) but I think its a finger to the right direction.

Lets try to give back to the person we have gotten much from already. I know (as a former programmer) that sometimes staring at the same code fore long time makes you develop tunnel vision and it could be hard to see the light without a fresh pair of eyes. (PLUS this is what open source is all about!)

4. BH_MAN

BH_MAN Well-Known Member

No because Cyanogen has written the internal storage into the Device Framework / Settings... Using the Open Source..

I tried this the Other day, but pulling parts from is Settings.apk via smali & trying to add / Remove the internal stuff...

I think it can Be fixed, but not till Samsung releases there 1.6 for the Behold 2.......

megabiteg likes this.
  5. megabiteg

Well, I just think it was a good question to ask. I don't know 100% of how the FS and Kernel works from the Samsung way but I think that every 2 cents count.

Thanks for clearing up and I'll be hitting the sites to see if I can find more useful information that could help.

Thanks!