• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Big design flaw for Optimus V - not enough internal memory

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2011
I've had my Optimus V for a year or so. It's my first android phone and I like it, except for one significant issue: there is not enough internal memory. I have found that many apps can only be installed in the internal memory. I have plenty of room on my SD card but I can't use it. My internal memory is just about full and I can't install any more apps that have to be on the internal memory.

The specs say that the internal memory is 512 MB. That is pretty low, considering that is where the OS is, and many apps have to be installed on the internal memory. Even having said that, according to my "App 2 SD" app, I really only have 188 MB of useable space on my internal memory. That's pretty nuts.

I am very frustrated, I'm at the point where my internal memory is full and I can't install any more apps that have to be on the internal memory. I've moved over all apps that can move to the SD card.

I'm guessing I"m not the only one that is having this problem. Is there any solution to this?

If not, I would have to say I would not recommend this phone.

Reactions: benslgdroid
Upvote 0
The RAM is actually only 425MB. The internal app memory (178MB minus the space taken up by the 50 something system and pre-installed apps) is part of the RAM.
I just bought a bigger uSD card which allowed me to make a 2GB partition for Link2SD. I formatted the 2GB partition and the rest of the uSD card to FAT32. This will allow me to use it with any ROM. A lot of Froyo ROM's (including the Stock ROM) will not work if formatted to ext.2, 3, or 4.
I first made the partition with the recovery, but it will only format it to ext. 3, so I had to go to the PC and Change things to FAT32 using Mini Tool Partitioning Wizard.
Link2SD allowed me to move apps to the uSD card that would not normally work there because it links them to the system. With 130 MB of space left on the BACKside ROM I had over 230 apps installed (that includes the 50 something sysytem and pre-installed apps)
Hope this info helped.

Upvote 0
It's not a design flaw, the phone was designed to be an entry level phone for Android and functions as designed. Most memory problems are related to other apps using up memory and not cleaning their cache files correctly. Text messages are notorious for chewing up memory. Then I see people with a ton of apps on their phone, but don't actually used them, so remove little used apps...you can always download them from the cloud again if you need too.

Reactions: Thorsten
Upvote 0
It's not a design flaw, the phone was designed to be an entry level phone for Android and functions as designed. Most memory problems are related to other apps using up memory and not cleaning their cache files correctly. Text messages are notorious for chewing up memory. Then I see people with a ton of apps on their phone, but don't actually used them, so remove little used apps...you can always download them from the cloud again if you need too.

I don't have a ton of apps i'm not using. Believe me, I've deleted everything I can. I also cleared all the cache.

Seriously.... just with Facebook app, Google Maps, Words Free, the Weather Channel, and Google Play, I'm practically full... most of the rest are under 1MB.

mysteriously though... the "App 2 SD" app I use says I have a total of 178 MB and 22MB available. That means I'm using 150 MB.... but my internal apps do not add up to that. so I'm not sure if there is data or ???? on there I could clean up to make room.

it sounds like from above that if I root my phone I could fix this... but I'd rather not root the phone at this point.

Upvote 0
I don't have a ton of apps i'm not using. Believe me, I've deleted everything I can. I also cleared all the cache.

Seriously.... just with Facebook app, Google Maps, Words Free, the Weather Channel, and Google Play, I'm practically full... most of the rest are under 1MB.

mysteriously though... the "App 2 SD" app I use says I have a total of 178 MB and 22MB available. That means I'm using 150 MB.... but my internal apps do not add up to that. so I'm not sure if there is data or ???? on there I could clean up to make room.

it sounds like from above that if I root my phone I could fix this... but I'd rather not root the phone at this point.

I had my phone for almost a year before rooting it. Rooting with Gingerbreak is really really easy. The links in the 2nd post have all the info needed. I had exactly the same frustrations about not having room for the basic everyday apps. You can root, partition the SD card (that has a few more steps involved than rooting itself but the guide for Link2SD explains it pretty well) and then use Link2SD app to move apps at will to the SD card. I have over 100 apps now -- it's made the phone incredibly more functional. I haven't bothered to mess with ROMs yet, but a friend has CyanogenMod on his Optimus V and that looks good and seems even faster than my phone on stock ROM. Since I have space for them I use the Beautiful Widgets and Widget Locker apps to customize the look of the phone and have a lot of cool widgets.

Upvote 0
For those that do not want to root their phone try "App Tyrant" from the market.
With this app you will be able to put all the apps that you use on a daily basis on the phone and uSD card. Any app you use just every once in a while, you uninstall it after you have installed it. App Tyrant will save the .apk and put it in a folder on the uSD card. You can have as many .apk's as your uSD card has room for.
When you need to use the app go back to "App Tyrant" and install it. This way you don't have to dig through the market trying to find it again, which could take hours.
The other advantage to "App Tyrant" is it saves all downloaded .apk's. This means if you update an app from the market and it doesn't operate like it is suppose to you can just overwrite it with the old working .apk that "App Tyrant" saved.
You do have to go into the .apk section and delete all the old .apk's every once in a while as they do pile up. I would save just the newer versions that are know to work properly. Any that you don't have the time to play with to determine if they do work right, just save the most recent old .apk that you knew was working properly.

It's the closest thing to Titanium backup that non rooted user's can have. The developer keeps making it better and better and it might eventually be able to save user data on the app as well (ie, what level you achieved on a game,etc.)

Upvote 0
I've had my Optimus V for a year or so. It's my first android phone and I like it, except for one significant issue: there is not enough internal memory.

Not sure I understand. Didn't you research the phone before you purchased so that you could make sure it would handle your needs? :deal:

I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought this phone, and it's everything I thought it would be and then some. ;)

Upvote 0
I have Root Uninstaller Pro. Paid for it almost a year ago.
I Downloaded App Tyrant so I could check out all the functions so I could inform non rooted user of the abilities of this cool app. At the rate the dev has this app progressing I can see a paid version with the ability to save app data like Titanium Backup, only for non rooted users.
LOL.The logo when the app first came out was a bit shocking. I'm sure the dev didn't realize what he had done. I'm also glade it was changed.

Upvote 0
Not sure I understand. Didn't you research the phone before you purchased so that you could make sure it would handle your needs? :deal:

I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought this phone, and it's everything I thought it would be and then some. ;)

I researched for a month including rooting because I put cfw of some kind on most my stuff and this just keeps getting better

Upvote 0
YouTube - Rooting & Hotspot - Optimus V
follow this video to root your phone. After its rooted, install titanium backup pro from the market. or you can google search a pirated version. After downloading it' start it up and go to the backup/restore section. Press and hold the app you want to move or whatever and it should have an option "move to sd card" If it doesn't, on the menu press tye "convert to user app" option that will enable it to be moved to your sd card. You can also erase crapapps in other words preloaded apps that take up space.

Note: the convert to user app option is only avaliable in the pro version and not the regular.

Upvote 0
YouTube - Rooting & Hotspot - Optimus V
follow this video to root your phone. After its rooted, install titanium backup pro from the market. or you can google search a pirated version. After downloading it' start it up and go to the backup/restore section. Press and hold the app you want to move or whatever and it should have an option "move to sd card" If it doesn't, on the menu press tye "convert to user app" option that will enable it to be moved to your sd card. You can also erase crapapps in other words preloaded apps that take up space.

Note: the convert to user app option is only avaliable in the pro version and not the regular.

Link2sd now has concert to user app and convert to system app. But this is a non root topic.

Upvote 0
I have Root Uninstaller Pro. Paid for it almost a year ago.
I Downloaded App Tyrant so I could check out all the functions so I could inform non rooted user of the abilities of this cool app. At the rate the dev has this app progressing I can see a paid version with the ability to save app data like Titanium Backup, only for non rooted users.
LOL.The logo when the app first came out was a bit shocking. I'm sure the dev didn't realize what he had done. I'm also glade it was changed.

which do you perfer RU pro or TB pro for the rooted?
[my tablet is rooted]

Upvote 0
Thats what I was thinking, but some reason RU pro wont download from the market on my tablet but the free version will.

if its compatable for one, should be for both.

RU free
"
This app is compatible with all of your devices.

Optimus V 2.2.2

Eken T02A Allwin A10 2.3.4"

RU Pro
"This app is compatible with some of your devices.

Optimus V 2.2.2

Eken T02A Allwin A10 2.3.4
This item is not compatible with your device."

Upvote 0
It's a good Idea MacFett. The amount of space 4 total backups take up on the sd card? With 1 Titanium Backup and one Root Uninstaller apk backup you wind up taking up less space. Even considering the extra space for the Root Uninstaller app on the SD card. Then you only have to select is the Backup all new Applications option.
Note: Titanium Backup doesn't play well with some apps, which is another reason I use Root Uninstaller. Some apps cause Titanium to hang on the batch install. These I delete from Titanium and can restore with R U
Again, I like to go thru both to get rid of all the bunk apps I deleted and the older apks to thin things out (only after I've checked to make sure the new app works properly).
I guess it is a matter of what you like to do most, and gives 350X a couple of options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones