• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Big noob question!

tmarr

Oct 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Ok so currently I am running a completely stock phone. I have only done updates OTA when I get them.

Thing is, I want rid of all the Verizon crap but still want to keep Sense and everything the same as it is now. I dont want CityID, VZ Navigator, Skype, etc etc. They waste space on my phone and run in the background =/

Is there a way I can do this? Do I just root the phone and erase them?? I have no idea what to do. Never rooted or anything. Links to some guides for noobs would be helpful if this is possible :D

Thank you!

Ok so I guess my big question was if I had to use a custom ROM but I guess I dont have to.

Will just rooting my phone erase anything? Or will it just be exactly how it is now but rooted (until I delete verizons horrible apps :))

and sorry Im so new to this whole rooting things. I just figured I'd keep it stock but I really am hating this Verizon garbage, and I also get crazy text lag since the OTA updates.

Upvote 0
rooting your phone won't delete anything on your phone. It will look and act exactly the same it did before rooting, but now you will have the option to make it look and act anyway you want. BUT and I can not emphasise this enough... DO A LOT OF RESEARCH... check, double-check, and triple-check the info you are using to make sure it is up to date, reading an old guide on something may not be much help and can cause lots of problems. I realise old is a relative term when it comes to phones, but even info from a couple months ago may not pertain your phone and set-up. Don't be afraid to ask questions here but at least attempt to use the search feature in the forum. It can be pretty annoying for people to answer a question one day and then have someone start another thread the next day or even in some cases a few hours later just to ask the same question. And another important thing to do is to make a nandroid backup of your phone before applying ANY changes to your phone, no matter how minor you think it is.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
rooting your phone won't delete anything on your phone. It will look and act exactly the same it did before rooting, but now you will have the option to make it look and act anyway you want. BUT and I can not emphasise this enough... DO A LOT OF RESEARCH... check, double-check, and triple-check the info you are using to make sure it is up to date, reading an old guide on something may not be much help and can cause lots of problems. And another important thing to do is to make a nandroid backup of your phone before applying ANY changes to your phone, no matter how minor you think it is.

Perfect advice!

Also OP have you tried a factory reset since the OTA? This is reported to help many with lag issues

Good luck and have fun!

Upvote 0
just a thought, but since you don't plan on installing any ROMs, you might want to wait until the next OTA update. I believe the rumor is that there will be one coming out either next week or sometime shortly thereafter. Once you root, I don't think you would be able to apply this update, or if you did, it would take away your root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones