Big problem, Quick QuestionSupport

Last Updated:

1. eljefe26

eljefe26 Member This Topic's Starter

I have the android lock on my Samsung Fascinate. For some really stupid reason I let my little cousins play around with my phone (had no idea the phone locked out) to see if they could unlock it. Now the phone is asking me for my gmail username and password, which wouldn't be an issue except for the fact that I don't know what was the email I used. I let the salesperson create my gmail account because I didn't have one. Since I only use hotmail I figured that the gmail account would be useless and I never used it. For some odd reason I did not put my hotmail as a back up email. I called Verizon support but that didn't help.

So I was wondering, since they made me create a gmail account for the phone does that mean that my phone/phone number is associated with that account? If it is, is there anyway to retrieve the sign-in information?

All I need is the email, I know what the password is. Help is very much appreciated!

Also if there is no way to fixing this and I resort to a full restore, can I make a new gmail to associate with the phone?

Advertisement
  2. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Did you ever use the GMail app to send an email to yourself or someone else. That email would have the senders email attached?

The phone number is linked to the EIN number, not the Gmail account. But I don't think you can use the "phone" until the GMail info is entered. All the info you save on your phone (contacts, downloaded, paid apps, etc) are linked to the Gmail account.

I know the Droid Eris had a way to bypass the initial setup screen and get to the home screen. This works with other Android phones too. If it works, go into the GMail app and in the upper right hand corner it will show your GMail account name. If it's not, press Menu / Accounts and it will be listed there.

Once you get back into your phone. Set up the GMail account with your home computer. It's a great way to edit contacts, the calendar, and check on what information Google is keeping track of.

3. eljefe26

Thanks for the response, but no, I never even looked at my gmail account. It was a very foolish thing, but I had no idea that the gmail was so significant to the phone.
    Also, I just created an account on the Verizon website and saw that I could see my contacts through there. I figure I had nothing to lose and I restored my phone, but even though it's back to factory settings, the phone keeps asking me for the gmail account. What am I supposed to do? Is the phone unusable now? I read some comments where it stated that restoring the phone would simply make me associate a new gmail account with the phone, but that was not the case for me.

The tip you suggested on bypassing the setup screen doesn't seem to work. When turning the phone on it immediately sends me to a screen asking for my gmail information, am I supposed to do it there? I tried to and it didn't work.

4. Doit2it

Try this 1st: To bypass activation screen, press emergency call button, then at the dialer, press *#83786633, then press the Home key! Another post said press Send after entering the number, then the Home key.

If it works, go into the GMail app and look for your GMail address.
    BTW: the number spells out testmode. If you get in and get your GMail address, I'd reboot the phone before trying to sign into your phone, just to be sure it doesn't stay in testmode. Just a precaution.

If it doesn't work:
    On you home computer, go to http://mail.google.com and setup a new GMail account. They go to your phone and use the new account to sign in. You will loose all your contacts and any paid apps you installed, but you will get full function of the phone.

5. eljefe26

I really, really appreciate your help man. Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately when I dial in that number i get a prompt saying "Call not sent,... is not an emergency number."
    I called Verizon Support once again and talked to a different person who also suggested what you said, to make a new account and just use that one. I did a factory reset on the phone several times already and still get sent to a screen requesting for a gmail account. My background picture is gone, so I know the phone was reseted. What I don't understand is that the phone is still locked. I no longer have Android Lock, instead I have the stock puzzle unlock, but I when I "fit" the puzzle piece, I still get sent to the "Too many pattern attempts!" screen. I created a new Gmail and used that one too try and get it into the phone but it just says, "invalid user name or password."

6. Doit2it

Why it is locked is beyond my knowledge. I have never used the secure lock screen. How are you doing the factory reset?

It's been a while since I initialized my phone. Does it ask for the user ID or the full email address (ie: eljefe vs. eljefe@gmail.com). Read carefully, and make sure you are entering the correct one.

7. eljefe26

To do the factory reset I turn off the phone and then turn it on while holding the Up & Down volume buttons while also pressing the power/lock button. It then takes me to a screen with four options. Reboot, update with sdcard (don't remember exact words), wipe data/ factory reset, and clear cache. I have tried both clearing the cache and wiping data numerous times.

On the gmail screen it asks for "Username and password," but on the field it says to write as "...@gmail.com." I have tried several different ways Of writing the username but cannot remotely access the phone. It doesn't work if I get a call and press the home button either, it sends me back to the gmail screen. Is this a glitch or some type of crazy security method? It really, really ruined my day.

8. Doit2it

I found this post. See if it helps you.

Also try these:

Comment 4 by MikalCartier, Aug 07, 2010

Comment 28 by Quintin93, Sep 20, 2010

Looks like it's an issue for ALL the Galaxy S phones. These solutions work for some, but not all.

9. eljefe26

I tried the different steps but nothing! The funny thing, though, is that when I attempt the method of repeatedly pressing the home button while turning it on, the phone gives an error message saying that my twitter app has to force shut down. That is very peculiar because although I restored my phone, it still has the twitter app. I guess that means that the factory reset is not working either.

10. eljefe26

I fixed it!
    Thanks a lot for your help! If it wasn't for you I would have probably called for a replacement and would have been phone-less for a few days. I'll never use that Android Lock again, haha.

11. Doit2it

Great. Glad you got back into your phone. Looks like it's a problem across the Galaxy S line of phones from all the posts I saw. Almost every post started the same as yours (My kids played with my phone). Guess Samsung doesn't make child proof phones.