Big problem rooting!

Last Updated:

1. altimax98

altimax98 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im encoutering a huge problem rooting my friends droid. Now Ive rooted mine, my fiances and ive done SBF to mine 2 times and then rooted with no trouble.

So i go to help him and i figure we will do it the old fashoned way so he can learn adb and whatnot. We install the SDK and get it running though the command prompt and then flash his 2.1 to 2.0.1 and start the root..

First we tried to use the one on alldroid, the merged update.zip file. I merged them and got to ese81 and had the super user program installed, so it appeared to work... But i cant do anything through ADB, either on the phone or on the computer. On the phone it says 'device not found' on the phone it says 'permission denied' and he gets no superuser access pop up.

So i figured it was messed up and re-SBF'd and did it again using the normal update.zip and that worked, then we went to install busybox and again ADB says no device found and the phone terminal emulator wont do SU..

So we download droid root helper and try that, the permission access screen comes up, we hit allow and then it appears to install busybox, flash_image and 99.3b... I reboot and im still in the old recovery, go into the OS and try ADB and ive got nothing. Terminal emulator doesnt allow SU to be typed either.

Whats going on?

1: correct drivers are installed, we flashed RSD on his computer and it installed the right ones
    2: ADB is working on the computer.. when we type "adb" we get the whole list of commands
    3: Yes we are having the phone in USB debug mode.

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Have you tried going in the Superuser Permissions app and clearing out all the permissions and trying again?

3. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Hmm... when you push the button on droidroothelper to flash_image and 993b before you reboot I think there's another button that you need to push that disables the stock flash recovery from automatically re-pushing back. It's been so long since I've used it... but if you read through the button descriptions you should see it. Anyway... if you don't press that button it wont flash SPR correctly.... you'll end up coming back into the stock recovery.

4. altimax98

there arent any in there yet because i cant run anything. But after running setcpu (which requests root and works fine on stock kernal) i can clear that permission

5. altimax98

Ive done it before and after and each time it does the same thing. But his SU and ADB still will not work

6. altimax98

another thing.... Reboot recovery through a terminal emulator says "operation not permitted"

7. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

Have you tried getting root on ESD56 (2.0.1) instead if trying to get it on ESE81 (2.1) first? see if you can get it working on 2.0.1 then if it does, then try to jump up to 2.1

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. altimax98

SBF to 2.0.1

9. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

Yeah i know what you did im saying, after you sbf to 2.0.1 instead of using an update.zip to go to rooted ESE81, just use an update.zip to gain root but remain on 2.0.1, then if youre SU permissions are working correctly and you have true root, try to update to ESE81 and see if it works.

10. altimax98

we tried that the second time. I did it the way i did, before 2.1, and it still doesnt work

11. JM33

JM33 Well-Known Member

You might try the droidmod updater to get root. I believe it is still free on their website. I would say flash the 2.0.1 sbf and then install DMU and get root, you can check it after reboot for su. That's how I rooted recently, though I've done the manual several times DMU is just faster.