Big Problem that Needs more attention.Support

Last Updated:

1. Blitzpwnage

Blitzpwnage Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Not recognizing Epic 4g as a USB drive - Page 3 - Android Forums

This is a huge problem for a lot of people, including me. I have uninstalled my drivers re-installed them, turned usb debugging on and off, turn off my phone turn it on, restarted my computer. The whole 9 yards, and yet my phone will not be recognized as a masss storage device.....it is just irritating, seriously. Oh and I am using the official samsung cable, ANDDDD I have tried all the USB ports on my computer.

Oh and mods, please dont move this. It needs a lot of attention and is affecting BOTH mac and windows users. :mad::confused:

Advertisement
  2. boomerbubba

boomerbubba Well-Known Member

Windows 7 and Vista users should install the latest Samsung driver, dated Sept. 1.

3. pflol

pflol Well-Known Member

After I did this it works flawlessly on both my laptop and pc everytime I plug it in. Win7 ultimate 64bit, WinVista ultimate 64 bit.

4. bdforte69

bdforte69 Well-Known Member

Windows 7 64 bit, as simple as plugging in the USB cable and clicking Mass Storage on the EPIC.

5. Blitzpwnage

Blitzpwnage Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Unfortunately it is not that easy :( . I think I am going to just uninstall all the drivers and what not and then plug the phone in and let Windows 7 try and work its magic. Like I said I have tried up to everything.

6. <=U=L=T=R=A=>

<=U=L=T=R=A=> Well-Known Member

I have vista...my motherboard and os is up to date... And i have the samsung driver that was released on the 1st and tried uninstalling,restarting etc :mad: and nothing..cannot connect:confused: I gave up.

Many users have this problem..we are not alone..hopefully samsung will address this issue. If not fixed by my 30 day return ..sadly its going back:(

(Oh:D by the way this is my second EPIC the first one, the soft home keys did not respond at times. So I exchanged and so far buttons work on the second epic..This is another problem people are having)

7. BigD562

BigD562 Well-Known Member

For some reason I'm having the same problem. So for the moment I'm using Dropbox app and software to get things I want on my phone.

8. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Ummm you may be over looking one simple little step. Are you pulling down your notification bar, after connecting your usb cable. once you pull your notification bar down, click "usb connected"....then the phone will promt you to "mount"...click mount.. now your computer should allow you access to your phones SD card as a mass storage device.

9. NemesisDesignz

NemesisDesignz Member

I have same issue on Vista 32 sorta..... i have 4 USB ports on my pc.... 1 on the left off by itself gives me device malfunction...its normally port i have my external HD hooked to........ but if i plug it into another USB port it works fine.... gonna install Samsung driver and see if that fixes that one port.. very strange it works on 3 but not that 1..

10. landslide03

landslide03 Member

i had the same problem, i tried using the new update from their websight but still nothing. It wouldnt work on both win xp 32 bit and windows 7 64bit. once I got it to read the drive but when i clicked on it on my computer it froze my computer up. It was soo frusterating, i couldnt use the phone i just paid $398 for. I brought it back to sprint and told them. I was just over it, I could do more things with my rooted palm. They tried to charge me a restocking fee, I complained and told them it was defective. Finally they waived the fee. I am glad i got my old palm back. I used to have the instinct and samsung never came out with any updates so i will see if they fix this thing before i get it again.

11. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

I have two Laptops, one with Seven one with Vista no problems connecting to the phone at all.

12. jfenton

jfenton Well-Known Member

I had no issues on either an ancient XP SP2 or on my Widows 7 64 bit at home. Make sure you install the correct drivers.

13. cij1916

cij1916 Well-Known Member

I just plugged mine up just to see what happens...I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I plugged it in, I pulled down the drop down, it asked, charging mass storage and tethered...I choose mass storage, and my computer instantly showed the autoplay dialog

14. Fangarr

Fangarr Member

I have Windows 7 x64 and the phone has connected perfectly every time using the default drivers installed by the OS.

15. <=U=L=T=R=A=>

<=U=L=T=R=A=> Well-Known Member

The samsung driver does not support all computers.

Dell xps 730x ..did not work

Dell inspiron laptop running windows 7 fail also

MAC Pro also fail

Dell precision running xp 64... It Detects it :D

At least one of my computers detects and runs flawlessly.
    Although my files are not on this computer .
    Lucky me I have all the pc's on a network:rolleyes:

Samsung needs to come out with a second driver to support more computers:(

16. Pitbull329

Pitbull329 Well-Known Member

I had no issues connecting my epic to my laptop. Its running windows 7, I didn't get any samsung drivers or any other stuff to get it to work. Worked right out of the box :)

17. Xenx

Xenx Member

I have Win7 64, and I have seen it have trouble. It connects most of the time. However, I've had similar issues with every single smartphone. Sometimes, they just don't connect correctly. Now, mind you, I've had this issue over the course of multiple computers.. just all with Vista/Win7. Never seem to have the problem with XP.

18. dblankenburg

dblankenburg Member

No luck here either. I have a Vista 64 bit and an XP service pack 3 machine and neither will work with the correct driver installed and the mass storage option selected. I've checked the USB debugging suggestion as well. I get a USB device not recognized error on the XP machine and while the Vista machine finds the drive, it shows 0 bytes used and 0 bytes available.

19. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. Just because it needs attention does not mean it should be posted in any old category.

This is a Support/Troubleshooting thread so it belongs in Support/Troubleshooting. This makes it easier for EVERYONE involved and allows future users (who search prior to posting) to search in the correct categories for the answers to their problems.

Thanks for your understanding! :)

20. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Fyi I had the same problem on my win7x64 laptop. Oem cable didn't work as did two others. Tried a 4th cable on a win xp sp3 laptop and it worked fine. Used that cable on the win7x64 laptop and it workd fine. Then I went back to the other cables and they all worked. It was really weird. That 4th cable would even say usb connected when just plugged into a usb charger. Really odd.

21. dkaile

dkaile Member

for fixing this issue -
    dial ##8778# in dialer
    set USB to PDA
    done