• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Big-time gaming coming to Linux

I stumbled upon this article--and haven't actually read most of it!--but thought some folks here might be interested: Big-time gaming coming to Linux | ZDNet.

One quote in it caught my [micro$oft despising] eye:

"Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space" and he wants to hedge his gaming system platform bets.

On a Linux/gaming note, years ago I bought Railroad Tycoon at a local store. As I was checking out, the cashier guy said, "This is for Linux," to which I replied something like, "AND?!" I guess he figured a girl (and I'm using that term loosely...I WAS a girl...decades ago...) couldn't possibly mean to buy something intended for Linux. :rolleyes:

I stumbled upon this article--and haven't actually read most of it!--but thought some folks here might be interested: Big-time gaming coming to Linux | ZDNet.

One quote in it caught my [micro$oft despising] eye:

On a Linux/gaming note, years ago I bought Railroad Tycoon at a local store. As I was checking out, the cashier guy said, "This is for Linux," to which I replied something like, "AND?!" I guess he figured a girl (and I'm using that term loosely...I WAS a girl...decades ago...) couldn't possibly mean to buy something intended for Linux. :rolleyes:

I know sabyon has had a gamers OS out for some time. I'm not much of a gamer since i like loose all three lives in ten seconds :p

As far as you buying something for Linux you should have said well can you explain to me why I wouldn't buy something for Linux? I mean after all it is a /dev/better/product than the one that claims to be a window yet it has a block wall behind it and you can't play with the engine and make it go booom :D besides I like a good tool in my hands :eek:

Ofcourse you would have needed a cell phone then that took pictures to see the guys face as you finish the "I'm just a Girl " routine

now that song is stuck in me head :p

Upvote 0
I'm not much of a gamer since i like loose all three lives in ten seconds :p
Back in the '80s, my best friend and I were kind of famous in the video arcade landscape in Dallas. We could play any of the Pac-Man variants, our favorite being Ms Pac-Man, for HOURS on one coin/token. And I mean single, not two, player--we'd take turns clearing screens, he'd do 3 or 4 (or 10, depending on which game it was), then I'd do 3 or 4 (or 10), and so on. People thought we were married...it was so funny when I'd arrive at one of our usual haunts, and someone who didn't really know us but knew us by sight would say, "oh, your husband's already here!" Until I realized what they meant, I'd be like, huh? he is? I thought he was still at work... :thinking:

One time we rolled over a Pac-Man game. We were long over Pac-Man, per se, as we strongly preferred Ms Pac-Man, but we decided we should do it--just because we could. So at first we did our usual method of trading off every so many screens, then when he and I had to leave to pick up his mom and my husband, respectively, the other one took over until we got back. It was BORING as hell, because we knew how to do it and we were just doing it by rote. That was 20+ years ago and I no longer remember FOR SURE, but I think we did lose one man at some point. Regardless, as our score went over 3 million we knew we were close, and, finally, we did it--the machine went nuts, all scrambled up on its screen, and then restarted. It could only handle clearing 256 screens. :D

As far as you buying something for Linux you should have said well can you explain to me why I wouldn't buy something for Linux? I mean after all it is a /dev/better/product than the one that claims to be a window yet it has a block wall behind it and you can't play with the engine and make it go booom :D besides I like a good tool in my hands :eek:

Ofcourse you would have needed a cell phone then that took pictures to see the guys face as you finish the "I'm just a Girl " routine

now that song is stuck in me head :p
LOVE IT!! :laugh:

Upvote 0
the infamous level 256 kill screen was due to the game only being capable of some 256 bytes, which i think was used to draw the fruits at the bottom which i suppose signified levels completed over time. when you reached level 257, it tried to draw all 256 fruits which would not account the last byte of code and make the scrambled screen. people to this day keep trying to 'beat' that 'unbeatable level'

Nintendo's Duck Hunt also has a similar issue. after you reach level 100 all the ducks scramble up and are going so fast no one can shoot them, then the dog goes through an infinite loop of laughing at you over and over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjUpe7Oh1j0

Upvote 0
Steam for Linux is a really cool idea, and I hope it fairs better than the half-assed mess that is Steam for Mac. But even if Gabe is all for Linux (what with his windows 8 hatred and all) it still all comes down to third-party support.

Sounds like he was just making sure you weren't part of the 96% of people who use Windows as their primary operating system.

Upvote 0
Sounds like he was just making sure you weren't part of the 96% of people who use Windows as their primary operating system.
Oh, you're a bit behind the times! :eek: I believe that Linux is now the most used operating system. And, yes, I am including Android, but it *IS* Linux. :D

Upvote 0
Oh, you're a bit behind the times! :eek: I believe that Linux is now the most used operating system. And, yes, I am including Android, but it *IS* Linux. :D

I'm sure MS has got some serious problems coming to them. Especially where I am. Many people want their own way of getting on-line, communicating, social networking, playing games, and other entertainment. Enter the low cost Android tablet and netbook. In China new Windows PCs and tablets can be extremely expensive and unaffordable for many people. On the other hand they can probably afford a $40-$50 Android tablet.

I recently found out I can't actually buy Windows in China, not without buying a new PC.

BTW Moody, I'm starting to see quite a few Ubuntu laptops here now, and they're significantly cheaper than their Windows 7/8 brethren. :)

Upvote 0
around here the only Linux devices are Android tablets and smartphones. the other types are endless Windows laptops/desktops and their Apple brethren. Wal-Mart here has never sold the empty laptops or Linux laptops period. and sadly, most games still will not run in Linux. I think when they support the gamers then it would be a booming thing. so far Linux, while technically the 'most used OS' sadly most of that use is limited to the servers running the Internet, offices, and various other sites. it does trump home computers and laptops but most consumer-end tech involves laptops and desktops.

Linux does have perfect replacements to web browsers, office apps, *some* games will run in Wine (but not all--including the most popular franchises) but most of the other stuff are watered down copies of Outlook Express (Sylpheed), Windows (Wine), and other software. in Android the same problem exists. most app ports for Facebook and such look pathetic compared to iOS offerings. some offer less functionality than their iOS app brethren. that never did make any sense. is Apple the new MS? or is it just that easier to develop for than Android?

Upvote 0
around here the only Linux devices are Android tablets and smartphones. the other types are endless Windows laptops/desktops and their Apple brethren. Wal-Mart here has never sold the empty laptops or Linux laptops period.

Well I woudn't really expect any more of a supermarket. Do they sell budget Android tablets as well? That's the sort of thing that Wal*Mart would do. Myself, I mainly go to the supermarket to buy groceries, not tech products. I saw the Ubuntu laptops in a shopping mall of all places, as well as the local Haier, Hasee, Great Wall, Founder and Lenovo dealerships. They seemed to be around about $100 USD cheaper than their Win 7 Home Basic counterparts, which shows just how expensive Windows can be here.

BTW another thing I've notice since I've been here, is that Blu-ray is like almost unheard of, not like in the UK. Probably because the llcensing costs are so expensive("a bag of hurt" as the late Steve Jobs put it). There's a home-grown HD optical-media alternative, EVD.

and sadly, most games still will not run in Linux. I think when they support the gamers then it would be a booming thing. so far Linux, while technically the 'most used OS' sadly most of that use is limited to the servers running the Internet, offices, and various other sites.

Do many people still game with PCs? Isn't it more about mobile gaming and consoles these days? I used to be really into PC gaming at one time, but not now though.

PC gaming is popular here among the younger crowd. Most of whom don't own their own PCs, because they're so expensive, so they usually play their Counter Strike, Medal of Honor, WoW, etc, in smoky internet bars.

it does trump home computers and laptops but most consumer-end tech involves laptops and desktops.

What sort of "consumer-end tech"? Entertainment, movies, TV, music, browsing, social networking? I think move here now is towards smart devices, like Android TVs, STBs, etc., which are not running a Microsoft OS.

Linux does have perfect replacements to web browsers, office apps, *some* games will run in Wine (but not all--including the most popular franchises) but most of the other stuff are watered down copies of Outlook Express (Sylpheed),

Outlook Express? :thinking: Don't you mean Outlook? Which is still pretty much a standard for enterprise users. Don't know what a watered down copy of Outlook Express would be like, but it would probably be unusable. OE is discontinued and end of lifecycle anyway. It was something that came with Windows XP. it was never much good IMO, and was always a security risk. Lookout Excuse more like. :rolleyes:.

Sylpheed is OK, but I use Thunderbird myself, personal preference.

Windows (Wine), and other software.

"other software"? ... can you provide some more details please?

in Android the same problem exists. most app ports for Facebook and such look pathetic compared to iOS offerings. some offer less functionality than their iOS app brethren. that never did make any sense.

TBH I don't use Facebook, and I don't know anyone else who does either, so I can't comment about how the different mobile FB apps compare.

is Apple the new MS? or is it just that easier to develop for than Android?

It's certainly more expensive to develop for iOS than Android(initial investment), basically because you have to use a Mac rather than a PC.

Upvote 0
TBH I don't use Facebook
Me either! :D I never liked it anyway--its interface was clunky and non-intuitive--but once I found out about its covert sharing of its users' personal data, I was out of there. I deleted my account two or three years ago and haven't missed it one iota.

Also, I'm always amused at the astonishing number of users FB claims to have. I'm willing to bet that at least half of the accounts they're counting are either fake (anyone here watched the movie Catfish? or its TV show spinoff?), or duplicates/triplicates/etc., or abandoned.

Upvote 0
Confirmed: just got Star Trek: Online to run in Ubuntu 12.10 and Wine 1.4--buh bye, Windows 8!!!! muahahaha! no login loop, no crash (although i did have to pass certain commands in the terminal to get it to install). it lacks Anti-Aliasing but i can live with that. other than that looks and plays well. what i hate is how it basically requires three MS tools: Internet Explorer 8 (they say 7 but apparently it causes the launcher to glitch out) Visual Basic Redist, and DirectX 9

When i compared Sylpheed to Outlook Express it was based on initial impression. it DOES look exactly like it, both the layout and how it previews messages and has the list above it, folders on left. even the mail reception screen and progress bar reminds me verbatim with OE 6

Actually PC Gaming is still the #1 spot, mainly due to the superior hardware and how much better games look and play, and it keeps builders interested. tablet games are actually dead last--they're not quite console level YET. console gamers are number two, but as for kiddies, anyone who has played the console version of Call of Duty would attest to kids or younger gamers being there---they're termed 'squeakers' and 'ragers' (the last for those who often scream through their headset when killed by a superior player, which is always great for laughs)

Upvote 0
Confirmed: just got Star Trek: Online to run in Ubuntu 12.10 and Wine 1.4--buh bye, Windows 8!!!! muahahaha!
Outstanding news! :D

When i compared Sylpheed to Outlook Express it was based on initial impression. it DOES look exactly like it, both the layout and how it previews messages and has the list above it, folders on left. even the mail reception screen and progress bar reminds me verbatim with OE 6
I've used SeaMonkey since before it was SeaMonkey, and I love it. It's the older sibling of Firefox and Thunderbird, and was formerly called Mozilla Suite. I use its browser, which I've customized to my liking, along with its e-mail and newsgroup clients. How it looks is up to the user--you can choose any number of configurations for the e-mail/newsgroup display. I like many things about it, but if I had to pick my favorite it'd be its ability to display, retrieve mail, and let me read mail from ALL of my [many...many] accounts without DOING anything. No switching from one account to another, it's just all right there and accessible at a glance.

Upvote 0
SeaMonkey only works with POP3 accounts though much like Netscape, right? my email accounts are specifically web mail like Gmail and Yahoo!. personally i LIKE Sylpheed since i actually liked Outlook Express (gasp!) the look just seems dated now though. i was kinda surprised it was copying the look in such a new distro--last i saw OE was in Windows 98 SE (wonder if message preview can be turned off, as it is a security risk, didn't find the option where i expected to or any sign of a preferences menu though)

Can the Unity bar be relocated though? this is bugging me having it on the left, i had to enable auto-hide so it wasn't taking up so much screen real-estate (even maximized windows were shrinking to fit beside that bar) the only option to change was auto-hide. and only two themes in appearance were available, ambience and radiant. neither are really to my liking

Upvote 0
SeaMonkey only works with POP3 accounts though much like Netscape, right? my email accounts are specifically web mail like Gmail and Yahoo!. personally i LIKE Sylpheed since i actually liked Outlook Express (gasp!) the look just seems dated now though. i was kinda surprised it was copying the look in such a new distro--last i saw OE was in Windows 98 SE (wonder if message preview can be turned off, as it is a security risk, didn't find the option where i expected to or any sign of a preferences menu though)

I think you can turn the security settings to maximum, no images displayed and no scripting. But then most internet sites won't work properly with IE. OE uses IE for the preview pane.

Can the Unity bar be relocated though? this is bugging me having it on the left, i had to enable auto-hide so it wasn't taking up so much screen real-estate (even maximized windows were shrinking to fit beside that bar) the only option to change was auto-hide. and only two themes in appearance were available, ambience and radiant. neither are really to my liking

Take your choice...
GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project

Now I don't really like Unity. My normal desktop environment is Mate, which is a fork/development of Gnome 2. But that's the nice thing about Linux, we have a choice. :)

Upvote 0
SeaMonkey only works with POP3 accounts though much like Netscape, right?
No. It works with POP and IMAP.

my email accounts are specifically web mail like Gmail and Yahoo!.
I can't comment on Yahoo as I've never used it, but my SeaMonkey handles my GMail mail just fine.

personally i LIKE Sylpheed since i actually liked Outlook Express (gasp!) the look just seems dated now though. i was kinda surprised it was copying the look in such a new distro--last i saw OE was in Windows 98 SE (wonder if message preview can be turned off, as it is a security risk, didn't find the option where i expected to or any sign of a preferences menu though)
Don't know anything about Sylpheed; I can't recall ever using it. However, SeaMonkey has all sorts of options/preferences, so I'm sure shutting off message preview is doable. But don't lose sight of the fact that you're not in windows land any more, so this really shouldn't be an issue.

Like I said elsewhere, KDE, Nick, KDE. :D I've never spent enough time in Unity to know about relocating its bar. But I do know that KDE has more options than you could experiment with if you did it as a full-time job for a month. So many beautiful themes, AND every single aspect of how your desktop looks, regardless of which theme you're using, can be customized to your liking.

Upvote 0
is there any way to disable or hide the 'Ubuntu 12.10 has encountered an internal error' message? i just got it but nothing bad happened? nothing closed, glitched or anything. either the bug reporter is confused or something happened that i never noticed. so the message isn't needed--it happened when i unplugged my Android phone after a music sync

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones