• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bigger than the X?

So my question is....do u think companies will stop @ a 4.3 screen? Do u think nxt time this yr we will have a device at 4.7 inches? Just curious.

Yes. And bigger. At some point, maybe at 5+ inches, we'll just have to start calling them tablets.

That said, as a "pocket-able" device, the DX seems to be (for me) right at the sweet spot between portability and screen size.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping so; I'd like to see on the market a phone with a screen about 6 1/2" x 4 1/2" and with the speed and clarity of some of the tablets I've played with.

It would just be another choice for us; I do know that there are many who don't want a device too big for their hand or shirt pocket, etc.

Btw, I've moved this non-Droid X specific discussion to the Android Lounge where perhaps there will be more interested Android device users who will want to participate. ;)

Upvote 0
Well, the Dell Streak is 5".

I fully expect there to be more devices of such a size, including tablets that will double as cell phones - though probably not to be held up to your ear, more to be used via Bluetooth head pieces ;)

I can't see going any bigger, personally. I don't like belt clips so my phone must be pocketable, and the Droid X is right at the upper limit of pocketability for me. I like the big screen but it's really pushing it. I think 4" might be the sweet spot, but the problems with the Samsung Galaxy S series kept me out of that screen size. I'm under no illusion that my needs are the majority's needs, though, and I think we're going to experience a fairly rapid convergence between cell phones, tablets and e-book readers as technologies get smaller and screen quality gets better.

I think the Samsung Tab is really aiming square at the heart of this trend. A quality tablet running a modern mobile OS that's far bigger than a normal cell phone but smaller than something like the iPad. For some people, they might be happy to carry it around, especially if they aren't the type of person who needs a cell phone attached to them at all times and can afford to leave it in the car or whatever when they don't want to carry it.

I think it'd be pretty interesting to have a tablet with a removable cell phone module that would let you detach the cell portion and essentially carry a dumb phone with you for times when you needed call functions but nothing else.

Upvote 0
Yeah the Streak is out and already 5 inches, but honestly I hate the fact its a landscape designed device. 95% of the time i use my dx in portrait so thats a huge turnoff.

I believe the HD3 or (HD7) with Win7 is supposed to have a 4.5 inch screen as well.

I would go with a streak sized device though if it was top notch.

Upvote 0
Honestly I think 5+ inches is a bit too big for a phone. I think when it comes to phones, bigger doesn't really equate better, tho too small (smaller than a 4") is too small IMO. The Droid X is a pretty decent size I think. The Evo feels a bit too bulky just because it's wider. I have the Captivate and it fits perfectly for me. I haven't actually held the the Dell Streak, so can't say for a 100% certain, but I've seen a few actual size pics of it, it seems a bit too big.

edit. Unless you have massively large hands then yes 5" is probably great.

Upvote 0
Personally, I think even something the size of the Droid X (Or atleast the ergonomics) is a too big. It just feels awkward for me. As a multimedia device, sure its cool to mess around with here or there, but as a phone, something that I am going to be carrying around with me ALL the time, its just to big. 3.7 to 4 inches is perfect for me. And I cant even think bigger than the 4.3, I mean first it would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to fit into a pocket and have it be practical, and you would look mildly silly holding something that big up to your face (Thats what she said). Like I said before, the 3.7 to 4 inch is perfect.

Upvote 0
Thank You :) . For me 3.7 inch seemed a bit too small. Having had iPhone and now the Captivate, I can honestly say that 4" seems like the perfect size. Although the Droid X didn't feel awkward to me but the Evo did.

Well my dad has a Droid X and the screensize is nice and everything but I just didnt like the way it felt in my hands, it just didnt have that "feeling"(Thats what she said...again). Although I would KILL to have an Evo (The screensize is great and the ergonomics are FAR better, plus sense) there is not way I can be over on sprint. Ive owned an Ipod touch since launch and its PERFECT for what I do so I dont really see anything wrong with the 3.7. Sure if the Inc came in a 4 inch, I would get that instead but it will suit me JUST fine!

Upvote 0
Yea I always said if I would get the Streak I would treat it as a Tablet. A tablet that can make calls. For a few weeks, sites were calling it a phone, a tablet, a phone/Tablet.

I called it a Phablet.....

I think the X and EVO are right at the max for portability and screen size. I feel if phones start creeping up around 5".... 4.5" might be the absolute max in size.

Yea some of these phones do have wasted screen space. Look at the X and that black border.

Upvote 0
3.5" too small for a phone? Wow, some of you must be kids. Phones had one line LED numeric displays when I first started buying them.
Not buying a phone because a screen is smaller than 3.5" just sounds silly.
I don't see how you kids survived just a few years ago then, must have been terrible using flip phones or slider phones with 1.8-2.2" screen..

:shakes head:

Upvote 0
^Yea....we survived...cuz thats all that was out...lol

There was nothing bigger to choose. And now that larger screens are available, some of us like it and dont wanna go back to smaller screens.

A few years ago I got the Omnia 1 cuz I wanted a bigger screen....I think thats one thing I liked about the E815, a flip phone..it had a bigger screen compared to most of the other flip phones.

Now that I think about it, thats one thing I liked about the Droid 1, it had a bigger screen than the Omnia 1.

It is funny tho how at one point cellphones started getting smaller n smaller, now they're getting bigger n bigger....lol

Upvote 0
3.5" too small for a phone? Wow, some of you must be kids. Phones had one line LED numeric displays when I first started buying them.
Not buying a phone because a screen is smaller than 3.5" just sounds silly.
I don't see how you kids survived just a few years ago then, must have been terrible using flip phones or slider phones with 1.8-2.2" screen..

:shakes head:

I guess you wouldn't mind going back to a 13 inch CRT TV or a Green/Black monitor then would you? I mean, I don't see how you survived a few years ago...

So here's your updated phrase:

"Not buying a TV because a screen is smaller than 13" just sounds silly."

Upvote 0
I guess you wouldn't mind going back to a 13 inch CRT TV or a Green/Black monitor then would you? I mean, I don't see how you survived a few years ago...

So here's your updated phrase:

"Not buying a TV because a screen is smaller than 13" just sounds silly."

YEs but we are not carrying around TV's in our pockets...or atleast most of us :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones