1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Bike Doctor - Showing you how to fix your bike

Last Updated:

1. andreaskam

andreaskam Member This Topic's Starter

Today we launched a new app for the Android called Bike Doctor that talks you through step-by-step 24 common bike repairs.

The four main benefits of the app are:
    * Save money - Even completing a simple repair such as fixing a puncture means a cyclist can save

Advertisement
  2. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member

This looks very cool and useful, but 5.5MB is too big for my phone. Is bike doctor froyo-friendly, i.e. would it mostly reside on my SD card if I upgrade my phone to android 2.2?

3. andreaskam

I know it's a shame the app comes in at so big. I don't know how were going to tackle that as we're very keen to add more repairs!
    Let me check with the chap who I worked with to create the app about "froyo-friendliness!".

Andreas

4. andreaskam

The footprint of the app is 2.83 meg. Copying to SD is not supported because the app also runs on devices 1.6+ that don't have that feature. If this becomes an issue then we can create a custom froyo version of the app that can reside on the SD card.

5. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick response. That's still a pretty big footprint. Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't be prepared to sacrifice so much memory for an application that I would really like to have on my phone but would only use once per month. So for this prospective customer the froyo version would be essential (but I haven't upgraded my device yet). The same argument applies in my opinion to other large, useful but seldom-used apps such as cookbooks.

6. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member

It turns out that when you tell Froyo to move Bike Doctor 1 0.2 to the SD card, its phone memory footprint drops to 100k, which is excellent.

Nice app! I look forward to using it next weekend to repair my son's bike.

7. Sam Voss

Sam Voss Well-Known Member

Great Idea! and I've just got an idea for fixing the size of your application, why not draw the video's off of a website or like youtube? and include your links etc to them?