Billing and Registering questions

Last Updated:

1. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yee-ha!

Mrs. Santa Claus hit a homerun and left a Droid for me under the tree on Dec 24.

She picked it up from a Verizon elf a few days earlier, signing me up for the $119 everything-but-the-kitchen-sink plan.

I registered it by calling *228 per their instructions on the 24th and have been using the Droid ever since.

I went to Verizon's website to familiarize myself with the the online billing and I see that my first bill is showing due, dated Nov 20 to Dec 20, for $170 (?), even though the actual purchase date is Dec 20.

She and I were under the impression that the $119 included data, so we'll look into that.

Itemized info shows the basic fee as $119, THEN and additional $30 for data, plus some misc tax and service fees -- total $170.... wow.

Question 1 -- before I check with Verizon this morning, I'd like to be somewhat prepared with a bit of information from you guys... does this billing sound right?

Also, I'm located in Texas, but we drove to Florida to spend Christmas with a relative. I puttered on the Droid every time I got the chance, showed it off (of course!) and even made a few calls. However, at least twice, I dropped a few calls and even had a message saying that I wasn't registered on a network, so I again dialed *228 and went through the automated process to re-register, which resolved the issue.

I arrived back home in Texas last night and can't sleep, so I pick up the Droid this morning and notice two new voicemails. I try to retrieve them and again, a message shows that I'm not registered. I call *228 -- again -- and it's fixed...

Any input on why this may be occuring would be very helpful as well.:confused:

Advertisement
  2. dfran1

dfran1 Well-Known Member

Make sure you have the 2.01 update, and turn off Wifi and the gps when not using them (this has worked for me, I use my phone in lots of weak signal places), let us know if this helps.

I used a blackberry storm before this and I can tell you for a fact that I get 99% less calls to voice mail now and dropped calls with this phone.

good luck

edit
    I do not know what plan you signed up for but the $30 data is a normal charge for these phones.
    If you signed up for a plan with data, then these phones do not qualify for that plan rate you need the $30 unlimited data or business $45 (I think it is this much) data plan in addition to the monthly voice and texting charges, if you got the vz navigator (extra $10 a month) drop it, the phone has that built in to it for free. (Someone will correct me if I am wrong).

3. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

That sounds about right.

First, the $119 plan does not include data for smartphones. That is an additional $30. That brings your total up to $149.00. Then there is the activation fee and all applicable taxes. You can talk to verizon, but honestly... nothing looks out of place at all.

as for the towers... I could be wrong on this one. That said: I believe *228 updates your home towers. If you updated your home towers while in Florida, they wouldn't be the same when you got back to TX. Might want to wait for a second opinion on that one, though. ;)

4. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, after speaking with cust service, found that there is a "basic" plan for $39 that can be coupled with a data plan for $30, so the total bill would be about $80 with taxes and fees, etc... much better.
    As or the lost calls and disconnects, she said there is an "area fix" and a tech will come out Monday and see what he can do... wow.