Bing NOT replaceable

Last Updated:

1. EliC

EliC Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. substring

substring Well-Known Member

Pardon me but I don't think you are reading it correctly. The article stated:

And on the chart below stated the turn-by-turn navigation IS Google Maps Navigation Beta.

3. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

yeah clearly they must not have read that it says right on the chart lol

4. EliC

Im not reading their text. I am reading the verizon documentation:

[​IMG]

Under the Bing heading:

Remove/Change search widget - NO

Ok, it looks like you can download google maps/navigation, but the bing search widget seems locked.

5. JuneNYC

JuneNYC Well-Known Member

you should be able to remove all the bloat wares after rooting.

6. Kierik

Kierik Well-Known Member

I believe it means that the Bing search widget and the Google search widget you cannot change the search engine. You have to download another search engines widget to get that search's widget. On Google's android widget you cannot change it to search using bing/yahoo.

7. substring

As long as they have Google turn-by-turn navigation, that's all I care. I am currently subscribing the VZ Navigator which is very good, but it costs me $10 a month. If the Google Navigation works, I can cancel VZ Navigator and save myself some money.

I don't really care about the Bing widget not removable. I can just download Google Search and put it on my home page. Or I simply put Google as the default page for my web browser. Either way works for me. :)

By the way, I would have to say that your title is a little misleading. :)

8. EliC

I don't think its a misleading title at all. I read the documentation as that you will NOT be able to use the google search widget on this phone and you can NOT get rid of the bing widget. I hope I am wrong.

9. substring

I am not talking about Bing. I meant this part of your title "and no-google navigation".

My first reaction was that Google Navigation is not available and won't work on this phone. :)

10. Kierik

Kierik Well-Known Member

I can tell you right now that this means that the bing search widget cannot be reconfigured to run google instead. You can hold it on the home screen drag it to the trash can and replace it with the google search bar. Its as easy as that. Its how the google search bar works right now on any android phone. Its not like in chrome where you can select which search engine the right hand corner runs. It says right in the manual here that you can have both i.e. the fact that it tells you the google one performs the same way.

All that table is comparing is the bing search widget capabilities to the google widget one. except as far as 2.2 goes the google search app does work to search apps.

11. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

The Chart says Google navigation is a yes but the thread title says its a no...?

12. EliC

I was wrong. On further reading its clear that you CAN download and use google nav. However, despite what others are saying, its still not clear to me if, without root, you can download the google search widget, or get rid of the bing widget. The document seems to clearly state that you can not remove the bing widget. Also, depending on how you read it you may not be able to download or use the google widget. The google search is more then the simple widget and is integrated into the Android OS. They may have broken this on this phone intentionally.

13. Kierik

Kierik Well-Known Member

14. g-android10

g-android10 Well-Known Member

I really don't get why they decided to make only one model Galaxy to have Bing on it

15. Droidable

Droidable Well-Known Member

You will be abe to drag the bing widget to the trash can at the bottom just like every single other widget on the phone. it is not permanently fixed to the screen. Also you will be able to download google search from the market however im not sure if it has a search bar. Thats the beauty of Android, if you dont like it download something else to replace it.

16. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

Really not sure why they did this.

So, just to be clear, if I press the search button on the phone (the hardware button), I can make it default to Google (without root)?

17. EliC

Based on the documents, I would say NO. However no one will be able to tell you until its released.

18. Kierik

Kierik Well-Known Member

I dont use the physical search button on my nexus but when i hold the button down it gives you the option to set it google voice or Handcent messaging. I would assume that you can remap it to another app. This is android as a OS its not locked down what so ever. If you dont like something you can remove that function and replace it. If nothing exists for what you want you could just make it yourself. This concept seems very foreign to some but its the intent of the operating system.

19. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Bing: What the heck is verizon thinking? /rant.

20. EliC

They like piles of money from M$.

21. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Bing isn't that bad idk why everyone is so worked up over this.

22. EliC

Its fine as long as Bing is a choice. I will only be worked up if I can't delete it and install google.

23. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

You can always root and get rid of it if its that big of a deal to you.

24. TheAlmightyDrew

TheAlmightyDrew Well-Known Member

I really don't see the big deal at all. I am going to at least try it out to see if it gets the job done. If it does, then that's great. If it doesn't, then I will just go and download Google Maps from the Android Market.

No need for all this bitching.

25. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I don't see the huge problem here. Can't you just use the search hard key to search? Why the need for the widget taking up useful space that could be used by others with non-redundant features?