• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BioLock V1.0 Coming Soon

BluePlanetMan

Jun 15, 2010
Hi,

I just wanted to let you all know that my company Blue Planet Apps is developing a Biometric security app for Android. It is called BioLock and will support both Iris and Face Recognition. It will have RSA Encryption and the following features:

Lock/Unlock Phone by Face/Iris/Passcode
Lock Apps
Lock Documents
Lock Contacts
Will work with both Front and Back camera phones
Etc...

The app is currently in development and is close to a beta release. You can follow us on Twitter @blueplanetapps for updates and inside info. Also, you can follow our forum on the Blue Planet Apps website for more details when they become available.

Contrary to popular opinion, this will be the first true Biometric app for Android when released this month (the current "biometric" app on the Market uses signature recognition, hardly biometric).

Happy Android Days

Jason
Blue Planet Man

Hi,

I just wanted to let you all know that my company Blue Planet Apps is developing a Biometric security app for Android. It is called BioLock and will support both Iris and Face Recognition. It will have RSA Encryption and the following features:

Lock/Unlock Phone by Face/Iris/Passcode
Lock Apps
Lock Documents
Lock Contacts
Will work with both Front and Back camera phones
Etc...

The app is currently in development and is close to a beta release. You can follow us on Twitter @blueplanetapps for updates and inside info. Also, you can follow our forum on the Blue Planet Apps website for more details when they become available.

Contrary to popular opinion, this will be the first true Biometric app for Android when released this month (the current "biometric" app on the Market uses signature recognition, hardly biometric).

Happy Android Days

Jason
Blue Planet Man

BioMetric in what way? is this really a product for the masses? "who" would be tracked "how" would they be tracked... based on the name, i'm not really interested. sounds like it is to invasive.
AND that you are very ambitious. (not that that is a bad thing by default, but...)

Upvote 0
BioMetric in what way? is this really a product for the masses? "who" would be tracked "how" would they be tracked... based on the name, i'm not really interested. sounds like it is to invasive.
AND that you are very ambitious. (not that that is a bad thing by default, but...)

No no no.... BioMetric does not mean that it tracks you in that way. BioMetrics is the process of using the Human body as a way to secure something. For example, the Iris in each person is unique and we can capture the image (on the mobile device only) and create a HASH from it which we can then use to secure the device or items on the device. The same is true for Facial Recognition and Fingerprints, etc... There are even Ear scanners, palm scanners, and I am told that someone is working on a DNA scanner. However, with the current limitations of mobile phones the best we can use is Iris and Face scanning. Iris being one of the most secure methods of security. You may have heard some people running around mentioning "Retina" scan. This is simply impossible with the technology on any current mobile phone as the camera requires a special lens that can "see" inside the Pupil of the eye and scan the retina in the back.

BioLock will never send any user information off the mobile device, all the software does is allow you to protect what it yours using the most unique thing in the world.... YOU.

Hope that clears things up.

-Jason

Upvote 0
No no no.... BioMetric does not mean that it tracks you in that way. BioMetrics is the process of using the Human body as a way to secure something. For example, the Iris in each person is unique and we can capture the image (on the mobile device only) and create a HASH from it which we can then use to secure the device or items on the device. The same is true for Facial Recognition and Fingerprints, etc... There are even Ear scanners, palm scanners, and I am told that someone is working on a DNA scanner. However, with the current limitations of mobile phones the best we can use is Iris and Face scanning. Iris being one of the most secure methods of security. You may have heard some people running around mentioning "Retina" scan. This is simply impossible with the technology on any current mobile phone as the camera requires a special lens that can "see" inside the Pupil of the eye and scan the retina in the back.

BioLock will never send any user information off the mobile device, all the software does is allow you to protect what it yours using the most unique thing in the world.... YOU.

Hope that clears things up.

-Jason

thank you for your time, i know it is valuable.

could you tell me how a retina scan is different from an iris scan? i am (based on the information available) a bit in the dark on the matter....

Upvote 0
Sure, the Retina is located at the back (inside) of the eyeball and is also unique to each person by the pattern of blood vessels. The Iris (colored part of the eye) is also unique to each person and is located at the front of the eye and much easier to scan. In the past Iris scanners took Infrared images of the Iris and used complex mathematics to remove the eyelash, lids, etc... and clear up the Iris to create a hash (or key) from the image. We use very similar algorithms and with current multimegapixel cameras inside our phones we can get very good quality images of the Iris.

Reactions: stainlessray
Upvote 0
this sounds great, something I will be looking and waiting for. So what happens if you shave, or change your facial appearance? Would it still work through facial recognition? Just something that came to mind.

The Facial recognition scan works regardless of your beard, or glasses, etc.. however, depending on the quality of the algorithms being used, it can make detection (recognition) of a known face, take longer.

I have one better for you. Whats stopping someone from simply putting a picture of the person in front of the phone to bypass the security? Answer... In BioLock we use proprietary technology to determine whether or not the subject is alive and not a still image. Also, in case someone was thinking of using video (i.e., HD video), we can detect that as well as it will not unlock for those types of things.

With that said, there are limitations of the current generation of mobile phones and while this will be a very very secure way to "lock down" your phone and its contents, I want to stress that nothing is ever truly secure. A determined thief will always find a way.

-Jason

Upvote 0
what a tease, i thought you were linking a download!! lol. anyway, i have a question. what can we expect the cost of this to be as users? will there be a beta period? how will you select beta testers if so? TIA

Sorry! I promise a download link as soon as I can. As for cost, I am really not sure yet, but I doubt it would be terribly expensive. I am thinking about $2.99 USD +/- a little. What do you think of that?

There WILL be a beta test period. I expect to release information about the beta group to our Twitter followers sometime this week. It will have the signup info and how you can get the app.

-Jason

Upvote 0
Sorry! I promise a download link as soon as I can. As for cost, I am really not sure yet, but I doubt it would be terribly expensive. I am thinking about $2.99 USD +/- a little. What do you think of that?

There WILL be a beta test period. I expect to release information about the beta group to our Twitter followers sometime this week. It will have the signup info and how you can get the app.

-Jason

well played twitter plug! ---now following like a puppy

i have mixed feelings on 2.99 as it doesn't seem like that much for a security app. however, i believe it takes longer than the android markets 24 hour period to determine if an app is a keeper. and though small, these .99's all the way up do eventually add up.

to add one more thought, a longer trial period than android market could serve the dev's as well. i'v refunded apps i couldn't test in the 24 hour period, and wonder if i may have kept them longer if i understood them better.

just food for thought.

Upvote 0
I wish more vendors would do what the makers of MyBackup did. They have a free version which is time limited to 30 days, after which you can buy the full version is you want. Even 15 days would be very useful.

This was a very common model for the PalmOS platform, where you could download most paid apps for free, but then have to pay for a license key to keep using it after the trial period.

Upvote 0
I wish more vendors would do what the makers of MyBackup did. They have a free version which is time limited to 30 days, after which you can buy the full version is you want. Even 15 days would be very useful.

This was a very common model for the PalmOS platform, where you could download most paid apps for free, but then have to pay for a license key to keep using it after the trial period.

BioLock will have a trial built into it. I am not sure how long, but you will definately have a trial built in.

Upvote 0
What happens if fire done reason it stops recognizing the user? Or what happens if my camera breaks? Will there be a way to bypass the lock using a traditional method?

It looks like (from the developers page) that you have an option for entering a password as well... but... wouldn't that defeat the entire purpose of the app? Why not just use a password to begin with? :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones