Birthday alertsSupport

Last Updated:

1. bass2rez

bass2rez Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Everyone,

I'm having difficulties with ensuring I get a reminder alert for when each of my contacts birthday is due. This seems a remarkable omission for a phone. All my previous phones have just performed this function without needing any setting up, assuming the birthday is set in the contact.

I have so far learned that you need to ensure you have changed the settings in Google Calendar online:

Settings -> Calendar Settings -> Calendars tab -> Browse Interesting Calendars -> More tab -> Subscribe to Contacts' Birthdays and Events.

I have done this, and now the birthdays appear in the Calendar application on the phone.

However, they do not generate any form of alert.

Can someone please enlighten me on how I can ensure an alert is generated for these birthday reminders in the calendar?

Best Regards,
    Steve

Advertisement
  2. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

I'm using EboBirthday app, free on the market. You need the birthdays in your contacts list or you have to add them by hand.

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Love ebo.

4. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

Hmm, I thought it tied "events" to the calendar, but it doesn't. Shame.

5. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Ebo has some pretty bad reviews, so I've read.

Can anyone comment?

6. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

I used Outlook to set up my calendar then sync'd it to google. Outlook lets you set up a reminder for any appointment up to two weeks before, plus make the appointment/event recurring.

7. SUroot

What did they say?

All I can say is I installed ebobirthday and the plugin, they do what they say, They take all the birthdays from my google contacts, facebook etc, stick em in my calendar and I get a reminder from ebo (in my status bar) letting me know which birthdays are coming up in order, their age and how many days until their birthday...

It just works for me.

8. Baz8755

Baz8755 Well-Known Member

Just use my favourite App 'Tasker' to check the diary and put up an alert or even send them a happy birthday text.

No excuses to forget this year Steve :D

bass2rez likes this.
  9. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Black screen, need to hard reset to remove, FC's etc.

I always read all the reviews before installing, had some really bad stuff happen to my phone and don't want it happening again, if I can help it! ;)

10. Griff_LI

Can you find them ? Google isn't showing anything major up. EboBirthday is fairly highly rated on the Market and various review sites. It's even recommended by a couple of App sites.

One bloke with a vague memory of some bad reviews is scarcely enough evidence to damn a perfectly good app...

I've been using it for a couple of months without a single problem.

11. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

If you are talking to me (quote function works great btw ;) ), if you go to Appbrain with your phone and look at the reviews, you can see for yourself. ;)

I'm looking for an app like this and if my brothers and sisters, on this forums, say it's good, I'll use it! :)

12. Griff_LI

This AppBrain ?

An average rating of 4.23 from 3500+ ratings seems a pretty-happy installed base. Can't see a bad review from here...

13. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

That's why I said to look with your phone because, when you look that way the reviews aren't great! ;)

14. flyingeng

flyingeng Member

Looked at App Brain and reviews are good. On Android lib though different story but looks like a concerted effort to slate this app, you sure you got the right site and not part of slating party.

15. WozzaTT

WozzaTT Well-Known Member

+1 for Ebo. Has always worked flawlessly for me.

One of my favourite and most used apps as it's genuinely so useful!

16. bass2rez

bass2rez Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Looks like its either use EboBirthday, or try out Tasker.. I've yet to install that app.

Hehe, indeed not, Baz ;) I have put in a manual alert for your birthday :D

In fact, its missing my friend Rob's birthday at the end of August that lead me to discover that Android doesn't alert on birthdays..

Cheers,
    Steve

17. Sprawlsy

Sprawlsy Active Member

It's a pity that the standard contacts & calendar don't exchange b'day info as this is pretty basic functionality that my Palm Zire 31 does. In fact the Zire calendar is better than my Desire one & I can't be bothered to track a similar one down - assuming it exists. The Desire is a top phone, but some old tech does show it up from time to time.

18. SUroot

I agree, the facebook, contact, calendar integration pails in comparison to a Blackberry.

19. Torbjorn

Torbjorn Member

Hello
    Tasker alerting of birthdays: Can you please explain how you did this with tasker? I am new to this app...

Thanks a lot