• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bit disappointed ~ More Screen Real Estate?

Stildawn

Jun 9, 2011
Hi all,

Just got a note 3 as I'm after a tablet/phone all in one. Moving from a S3.

I like the note so far but one thing I'm disappointed in is that even with the font on tiny the general UI is just larger than my old phone meaning that with a much larger screen I get the same usage/real estate when I was expecting much more.

So my question is, is there any settings or apps or launcher that makes the note more useful as a tablet/large screen device?

Thanks

My requirements are such that a large display is highly advantageous. Personal experience with virtually every size of smartphone & tablet display has taught me that 6.0" is the best size for me. I eagerly await the Lenovo Vibe Z2 Pro. If its released with the same specs recent rumors suggest, it'll be the closest thing to my perfect phone ever.

Upvote 0
I don't use an SD card. I have a 40TB secure NAS equipped dedicated home server, along with 3 redundant clouds for my data. Therefore, I keep everthing resident and secure on my network. Carrying just what I want to use on my Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops. None of those are burdened with long term storage.
It is if you are like me a lot of times not having data access ;) Not much of a cloud fan as a result. Not to mention more battery use with cloud rather than local storage.

I get why folks like it though. Just not my cup of tea.

Upvote 0
I would recommend using Nova Launcher (or some equivalent) that let's you resize your icons and grid. I typically run an 8x6 grid which gives me the ability add more to my home screens. In reality though, I probably run the same amount on each screen, but the larger grid size makes it seem like there is more space.

Go to this page of this home screen thread and scroll down four comments (look for my name) and you'll see a few screen captures of how my screens look:

Post your home screens thread - page 8

Upvote 0
Wow this has derailed a bit.

So my question is, is there any settings or apps or launcher that makes the note more useful as a tablet/large screen device?

I agree withe the launcher suggestion...Nova and many other launchers will let you choose margin size top and bottom and on sides...allow for no notification bar if you choose...arrange icons in grids of 4 by 6 or 5 by 6 per page etc... also let you resize and overlap widgets.

try one of the launchers for free and see if you like it enough to get the premium version.

Here is example of widget resize and 4 by six icons with small margins all around...make your own and have fun with it.

Upvote 0
I would recommend using Nova Launcher (or some equivalent) that let's you resize your icons and grid. I typically run an 8x6 grid which gives me the ability add more to my home screens. In reality though, I probably run the same amount on each screen, but the larger grid size makes it seem like there is more space.

Go to this page of this home screen thread and scroll down four comments (look for my name) and you'll see a few screen captures of how my screens look:

Post your home screens thread - page 8

I have Nova on one of my tablets so I'll try that, just a question does it disable any of the s pen features?

Upvote 0
Basically more screen Real estate

Smaller ui
More icons
More widgets
Ideally the apps would share this overall smaller ui

I'm still a 'bit confused by your original question, even with your explanation of what you're going for.

When I think of "screen real estate", I think of overall viewing screen (which is far superior on a 5.7 screen vs. the inch less of viewing on the S3).

That said, if you were looking for a way to change the Grid size (not really the way I would consider "screen real estate"), so that you can include what you had mentioned above, that really has more to do with the stock 4X4 Grid that Android typically has, vs. different Grid sizes you can set up using a 3rd party launcher (not all launchers have the same amount of Grid changes) without rooting or possibly even some custom ROM's (if rooted). I really am not sure of any OEM UI's that can re-configure the grid size beyond the stock Android 4X4 (although, there could be some, even if I'm not aware of them).

Nova Prime is my favorite choice, of all the 3rd party launchers, however there are quite a few available that are just as popular. You can always download the different Launchers, and use HomeSmack APP, to switch between the different launchers. That will help you decide which one is best for you. Once you've decided, just uninstall the other launchers and stick with the 3rd party launcher you've chosen.

Upvote 0
I use TSF Shell launcher ($15) and you can change the draw grid size. I use 6 down by 4 across.
Also you can change the density to match to give smaller icons/words.

But the phone menus etc all stay the same. It's a shame that extra small and tiny still give the same size press boxes in the menus etc as small.

Upvote 0
I use TSF Shell launcher ($15) and you can change the draw grid size. I use 6 down by 4 across.
Also you can change the density to match to give smaller icons/words.

But the phone menus etc all stay the same. It's a shame that extra small and tiny still give the same size press boxes in the menus etc as small.

Yeah it's a shame, I'm using Nova now with 6 across and 8 which is great. But messenger etc is still rather large even set as tiny.

Also just found out that I can't use s planner widget in Nova.

Upvote 0
FYI Nova will allow you to use all the TouchWiz widgets, except some might run in the default 'easy mode' and as such won't allow full-function. Weather is one such example. i had no problems accessing Air Command or any of the Action Memo or Multi-Window features in Nova or any other launcher. they don't depend on the launcher only the TouchWiz framework.

Upvote 0
I'm still a 'bit confused by your original question, even with your explanation of what you're going for.

When I think of "screen real estate", I think of overall viewing screen (which is far superior on a 5.7 screen vs. the inch less of viewing on the S3).

That said, if you were looking for a way to change the Grid size (not really the way I would consider "screen real estate"), so that you can include what you had mentioned above, that really has more to do with the stock 4X4 Grid that Android typically has, vs. different Grid sizes you can set up using a 3rd party launcher (not all launchers have the same amount of Grid changes) without rooting or possibly even some custom ROM's (if rooted). I really am not sure of any OEM UI's that can re-configure the grid size beyond the stock Android 4X4 (although, there could be some, even if I'm not aware of them).

Nova Prime is my favorite choice, of all the 3rd party launchers, however there are quite a few available that are just as popular. You can always download the different Launchers, and use HomeSmack APP, to switch between the different launchers. That will help you decide which one is best for you. Once you've decided, just uninstall the other launchers and stick with the 3rd party launcher you've chosen.

I can only speak from my understanding of the op's question...I found on touch whiz even tho the screen was bigger all I got was a bigger version of my icons and widgets therefor not allowing for more items per screen...with a launcher I can adjust margins and resize widgets and icons...therefore get a lot more info on one screen as opposed to the same amount of info just larger info on one screen with touch whiz.

I cant put 30 app icons on a page with a launcher instead of 16 or so with touch whiz.

Upvote 0
I can only speak from my understanding of the op's question...I found on touch whiz even tho the screen was bigger all I got was a bigger version of my icons and widgets therefor not allowing for more items per screen...with a launcher I can adjust margins and resize widgets and icons...therefore get a lot more info on one screen as opposed to the same amount of info just larger info on one screen with touch whiz.

I cant put 30 app icons on a page with a launcher instead of 16 or so with touch whiz.

Okay, so if that's the case, the complaint shouldn't really be about screen real estate because of Samsung. That's not even touchwiz. All android phones are based on a 4X4 grid. If you look at the app icon shortcuts, when placed on a homescreen, you'll see that there's a rectangular shape that encompasses the part of the screen that the icon takes up.

It's Android, not TouchWiz. I don't know of any Android phones that can customize the grid from the get-go, without using a 3rd party launcher.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Just got a note 3 as I'm after a tablet/phone all in one. Moving from a S3.

I like the note so far but one thing I'm disappointed in is that even with the font on tiny the general UI is just larger than my old phone meaning that with a much larger screen I get the same usage/real estate when I was expecting much more.

Thanks

I put Nova on 2 tablets. Not for the screen real estate but so I could back up the homescreen layouts. One is a Note and the digitizer still works fine. Not sure I want it on my Note 3. I have 7 screens and lots of apps. Do some work with my telescope there. Have a 128GB exsd card. Touchwiz is fine on the Note 3 so why change a stable situation? If I need more screen I'll just add one based on my organizing structure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones