Bit late, but....Are they any good???

Last Updated:

1. R3vel

R3vel Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

I might have done a good thing or a bad thing, but im sure I will find out.

History
    After getting annoyed with my Samsung i5700 on 3UK, I phoned them today and asked for yet another replacement, but a different phone. The Samsung had "searching GPS" problems, Couldnt watch streaming TV and best of all, when you turn it off then turn back on, the clock would reset itself back to January 2005 !!

Cut a long story short, I get my Desire tomorrow. User reviews welcome.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

Absolutely f$

R3vel likes this.
  3. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

Mate this is a truly amazing phone. Dont get me wrong it has a couple of tiny niggles but the good by far outweighs them.

This is my first Android handset after being on Symbian for years and I just wish i'd made the move sooner. The phone is fast, the screen is a thing of beauty and it can handle anything that I throw at it and trust me I am working this little baby!

Watched the Green Zone on it the other day and was a better picture than my 1080p lcd at home :D

You will not be disappointed and if you do have any problems come on here as they are always sorted quickly.

4. Wizo

Wizo Member

Had my Desire a week Its so Good :)

R3vel likes this.
  5. R3vel

6. jay_kay

Yeah I've still got my n96 for nostalgia but turned it on yesterday and was shocked how poor it looked!

Android all the way now :D

R3vel likes this.
  7. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Overall, it's an awesome phone, but it certainly has it's problems.

I find the speaker on it terrible, but it is of little importance to me. The screen does get it's praise, but I find that it is bad at displaying true colour. It gets praise about how vivid it is, but it's simply too vivid - pictures you take on the device will look different on the device than on a computer monitor.

There are a few other things, but I'm sure you'll love your device :D

R3vel likes this.
  8. R3vel

Looking forward to exchanging handsets. Might be here in time for the England match :)

9. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Oh, and check out Swype, i personally find the default keyboard terrible, but Swype is the fastest method of typing on a mobile phone I have ever used!

jay_kay likes this.
  10. jay_kay

Don't read too much into the speaker and headphone issues. My speaker is perfectly ok, nice and loud and clear and I think the headphone issue is down to the type you use. There are different types of jack that have different colour stripes. For some reason a certain type of these do not produce very loud volume.

I've got a set of Samsung SBH-650 bluetooth headphones and they are very loud!

The screen is a thing of beauty and on mine I do not find the colours too vivid at all.

Its all down to personal choice, hell there are millions of people with iPhones but I would not touch one....Ever.

Hope you enjoy your Desire and if you have any questions look on here first as the answer will normally be on here and if not ask :D

11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Don't get your hopes up, it can be hard to connect to a TV streaming service during these popular matches..

Some one here identified that its to do with how many rings of insulation you have around the jack.

I have 2 black rings and its very quiet. The ones that come with it have 3. These are much louder.

12. emily01

emily01 Member

going against the grain ... i hated mine , and sent it back today and changed it for a sony x10... fantastic phone ! much the same but sooo much easier to use ! :D screen isnt as sensitive big plus for me !
    my main thing with my desire was that it lost ALL of my contacts ! and i mean from sim , phone and google mail ! was informed today that it was an issue with faulty software... i had a bad one :( this tainted my view on it so i didnt want to exchange it for another desire.
    hopefully this wont be the case for u , and ull enjoy it ... dont get me wrong some great points .. but get all of them and more on the x10 ... cracking cam too !
    good luck ! xxx

13. jay_kay

Horses for courses mate.

I looked at the X10 and thought the timescape feature was poor and it ran on an older version of Android but then Emily loves it so its all down to preference.

My Mrs got a desire too at the same time and she spent 2 weeks screaming at me for telling her to get this piece of cr*p but now that I have talked her through it, downloaded a few apps to make it how she wants she loves it.

I'm gonna shut up now or I might start sounding like a Desire salesman :eek:

14. R3vel

Views welcome both good and bad.

Will let you know what I think by this time tomorrow....

BTW, does google navigation work on this?

15. adybaby

adybaby Well-Known Member

I had an X10 for two weeks - absolutely totally dissapointed with it, various reasons that I cant remember - but I do remember sense was pointless, screen was slow, couldnt delete emails/txts in bulk, and plenty of other silly annoying issues - DESIRE totally blows it out of the water in all departments. But each to their own I guess, however you can buy an X10 real cheap, they just arent taking off like sony wanted. And the camera not a patch compared to Desire!!! Desire far better quality picture and way easier to use.

16. R3vel

Well, its arrived and im well impressed. Satnav works, Yamgo works and England kick off at 4. Can today get any better :)

17. w0bbl3r

w0bbl3r Well-Known Member

tvcatchup was great on mine right up till about 3 mins before kickoff for the last game.. went back into the break room at work any everyone's imacs and iphones had lost the stream too so tough to hang on to the feed i guess!

Had my desire coming up for a week, battery life probably the biggest issue so far - first smartphone so getting used to it but different way of thinking for sure! Of course it doesnt help that i literally can't put the thing down....

18. Wizo

Wizo Member

Mmm England could Win !:D

19. R3vel

I want a currency convertor on one of my (many) home screens. I have found one. Is there a way to have it on my homescreen already open? Like the weather widget.

Thanks

20. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

R3vel likes this.