• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bit rate editor

What you're looking for is called a transcoder. :)

Check out "dPocket Mp3 Converter"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.naticis.ffmpeg

In addition to the write up, it will convert an mp3 at one bit rate to another.

On a Mac, you do it with iTunes and a virtual cd, found free on the web.

I imagine that you can just as easily do the same thing in Windows, burning a lower bit rate virtual cd from whatever you use there.

If not, Google for Windows music transcoder - you'll find a wide selection.

Upvote 0
Something I should mention to the op. Recoding really wont save you space unless you recode to a VBR

@EarlyMon - I have found that most of the apps out there are just that a GUI for ffmpeg. I'm just old school and prefer to do it manually myself besides GUI's really are just a waste of good resources :p

Re-encoding 320kbps to 128kbps will save you space, which was the OP's question. Lower bitrate = lower file size. Something I would like to mention, is loss of sound quality. To my ear ears, 128kbps MP3 sounds horrible, Like the early days of using Napster with dial-up, and my 128MB Diamond Rio. VBR encoding does improve things, because it's more efficient. But lower bit-rates, does equal lower SQ.

Upvote 0
Something I should mention to the op. Recoding really wont save you space unless you recode to a VBR

@EarlyMon - I have found that most of the apps out there are just that a GUI for ffmpeg. I'm just old school and prefer to do it manually myself besides GUI's really are just a waste of good resources :p
The gui I posted was for a phone app.

If you're trying to say that you recommend people run ffmpeg in Terminal Emulator, ok. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones