Bite the bullet and make the switch??General

Last Updated:

1. SpartanS66

SpartanS66 Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have a Samsung Epic 4g which I got 2 years ago (Apr 2011) and have had it replaced (through Best Buy's "Black Tie" program) 3 times. Through a mishap on Best Buy's part they gave me a free Galaxy Nexus. I really want to switch over to the Nexus but I keep hearing mixed reviews saying it's not that great and the battery sucks.

I use my phone quite a bit especially for work (constantly needing to make phone calls). Should I switch over to the Nexus for now, and then upgrade to the Galaxy S III in April when my actual upgrade comes up????

Advertisement
  2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

If your upgrade is in April, I would try to hold out the extra little bit for the GS4 to be launched. The nexus isn't a bad phone, it's my favorite phone I've ever had, but it does have it's own faults. I helped the battery issue by buying a tank extended battery on amazon for like 15 dollars and it more than doubled battery life.

3. SpartanS66

I'll get the SIII or SIV in April when I have my upgrade regardless, I'm just wondering if I should go with the Nexus instead of the Epic 4G until April or should I continue using the Epic. Thanks for the input!!!

4. jhawkkw

The nexus is an lte phone while the Epic 4g isn't. If you have Sprint LTE where you live, then I would go with the nexus. If you don't have LTE and have WiMax, then I'd keep the Epic 4G. If you have neither, then I would go with the Nexus just because it's a slightly newer phone and probably has a better developer community for custom roms in the meantime.

SpartanS66 likes this.
  5. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

i would not recommend the G Nex. It's possibly the worst phone i ever owned. Which i don't own anymore.

SpartanS66 likes this.
  6. SpartanS66

4G is an afterthought for me since it is not typically available where I'm at. I look more at UI, battery life, and ease of use.

7. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

Battery Life sucks on a stock G Nex. It's not much better after you root and rom although everyone's mileage varies.

8. jhawkkw

This is true. The only real way to fix this is to simply carry multiple batteries, or buy a high capacity battery at the cost of additional thickness.