• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root BittyBright - Tiny flashlight script

mercury0x000d

The ultra-modern operator
Nov 24, 2011
Penn's Woods
www.mercurycoding.com
Hello, all! :)

Yesterday I picked up an Avant to replace my old ZTE Warp, and straightway (after TWRPing and rooting, of course) began porting all the stuff I made for the former phone to the latter.

BittyBright is the first item on that list - a super small script which you can use to control your camera flash using your favorite script running app. Personally I use RootBrowser, but Script Manager has works too. Its operation is simple; just run it once to turn the flashlight on, then run it again to turn it back off. If you would rather the torch not be so bright, that can be easily changed within the script; its intensity is represented by the value of the by the torchLevel variable which lies on a scale from 0 (off) to 255 (full on).

This is tested and working on my MPCS Avant, but as always, your mileage may vary. If you encounter any issues, don't hesitate to let me know by leaving a comment or question here.

Download link:
BittyBright for the Samsung Galaxy Avant v1.0

Last edited:
Hello, all! :)

Yesterday I picked up an Avant to replace my old ZTE Warp, and straightway (after TWRPing and rooting, of course) began porting all the stuff I made for the former phone to the latter.

BittyBright is the first item on that list - a super small script which you can use to control your camera flash using your favorite script running app. Personally I use RootBrowser, but Script Manager has works too. Its operation is simple; just run it once to turn the flashlight on, then run it again to turn it back off. If you would rather the torch not be so bright, that can be easily changed within the script; its intensity is represented by the value of the by the torchLevel variable which lies on a scale from 0 (off) to 255 (full on).

This is tested and working on my MPCS Avant, but as always, your mileage may vary. If you encounter any issues, don't hesitate to let me know by leaving a comment or question here.

Download link:
BittyBright for the Samsung Galaxy Avant v1.0
Ohhh interesting :D any other goodies in store for us? lol and how are you liking the avant and touchwiz so far?

Upvote 0
Ohhh interesting :D any other goodies in store for us? lol

Most definitely! :) I'm already starting to port PowerNap, which conserves power by lowering the device's CPU speed to a minimum while the screen is off then ramping it back up when the screen awakes. On the single-core Warp, this helped some folks see some rather dramatic increases in battery life... I imagine the difference will be much more pronounced on a quad-core phone.

and how are you liking the avant and touchwiz so far?

My answer on that is twofold: I love the hardware!! It makes the Warp look like a snail with lead boots. To put it in perspective, a Warp running my Warp OEM ROM - which yields fairly large performance gains over the stock ROM - could achieve an Antutu score in the low 8,000 range. In comparison, the Avant gets nearly 20,000 straight out of the box! I have a feeling this is going to be one sweet platform for developing. :D

Software-wise, it's not too bad, but I don't care for the washed-out color scheme. And it's not just Android to blame - it seems that every computing platform these days is going towards that, which is a trend I'll never understand. In the 80's computers were bland and colorless (the original Macintosh, the first few versions of Windows, GEM, etc.) because that's the best that could be done with the technology of the era. Over time, video systems increased in ability and speed causing operating system interfaces to become more rich and colorful, using visual cues and shading to convey purpose and function with efficient simplicity. Contrast that with today's UI, which looks as though it was laid out with some poor child's Colorforms. We've come full-circle, and I just don't get it.

[/rant] lol

Reactions: codyedmonson
Upvote 0
...on second thought, PowerNap requires init.d support so maybe I'll hold off on that for the time being.
I'm pretty sure there is an insecure kernel with init.d support over on XDA, if anything maybe you could help out with the cm11 build, getting it fully working would be amazing.

EDIT: Here's the link to the XDA thread... You may begin your journey through the XDA one thread for everything struggle xD
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2845229

Reactions: mercury0x000d
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones