bizarre disappearing keyboard on JB2Support

Last Updated:

1. gastr

gastr Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've been on JB2 for about 2-3 weeks with only a few problems (mostly performance related) but in the past week I've seen a new problem which is intermittent, but once it happens it can only be fixed by a reboot, and even that doesn't always work (have to reboot several times).

In short, the virtual keyboard doesn't put input into the text field. It registers my keypresses, pops up the magnified letter, vibrates if i have it enabled, but doesn't put it into the text field. If I'm in a field that allows the dictionary to be used then I get word suggestions as if the typing is working (but just not appearing), but the text isn't saved in the field.

I installed the TickButtons keyboard before this problem began, and when I noticed the problem with the Android keyboard I tried switching but found that ThickButtons also didn't work. I wondered if installing ThickButtons might've caused the problem so I uninstalled it but the problem still occurred. I then reinstalled it (whilst writing this post because I couldn't remember 100% if problem occurred with TB also) and the act of installing the app fixed the problem temporarily (just like a reboot does).

So, rebooting sometimes fixes it, installing an app (maybe just a keyboard one?) sometimes fixes it. WTF?

Anyone got any idea about this? I'll upgrade to JC6 on the weekend sometime, and it should be gone, but it's baffling, disconcerting and annoying in the meantime.

Advertisement
  2. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

i've been using jb2 for quite a while now and i've only come across an apparently limited version of your problem once or twice

the bug goes as you describe - text not showing up, but after i tap the text field or switch to the numeric keyboard or just stop typing for a secons and resume, it displays all my input

so it would seem the input is written to a string, but that string isn't printed for whatever reason

have you tried sending whatever you were typing when this happens; does it still work?

3. crester

crester Member

I have the same problem in JC4. I have only noticed it sometimes when using web browser, it does not show what i type but the phone still registers the keys because it goes to right website after i click "Go".

Yet another Samsung bug... :)

4. angeamon

angeamon Well-Known Member

on a similar issue, has anyone of you tried using the swiftkey keyboard? I ve tried using it, but it kinda slows my phonedown considerably.
    has anyone ever faced this prob?

5. informale

informale Well-Known Member

I'm using Smart Keyboard. It's fast (much faster than HTC kbd) and does not slow the phone down.

6. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

im using anysoftkeyboard and its rapid. have not seen this issue

7. angeamon

angeamon Well-Known Member

thanks guys. I should try the keyboards u mentioned in your posts.....

8. gastr

yeah i've tried sending it and it doesn't keep/remember what i typed. yeah, it sounds like you're right in that it's writing it to a string somewhere but it's not being sent to the field.

it's very strange that i seem to be the only one with the problem, and it's quite a debilitating one. when it happens there are a few other issues i see around the OS UI that i left out of the post to keep it short:

• long-pressing on a text field will not bring up the copy/paste menu
    • if i try and make a call, when i press the green on-screen icon for dialling (like you see next to contacts in your call history, or on a contact's screen) it doesn't seem to register and take you to the "dialling...." screen, but instead it will not respond but start making the call about 45 seconds later. freaking bizarre

9. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

have you tried different keyboards to see if that helps? (i use "scandinavian keyboard" to get the

10. gastr

ThickButtons is the only other keyboard I've tried and that doesn't work either once the bug begins to show itself. Seems to me that it's a lower level problem than the keyboard application.

The problem is getting worse too, it's starting to miss alarms sometimes, not update the system clock sometimes (ie. it's stuck an hour or two behind) and crash a lot. I've decided that my OS is simply screwed and needs to be wiped, so I don't think we can't read too much into any of the symptoms.

I would've re-flashed a week ago but I just haven't had the time to get hold of a windows machine to do it (I run Linux). Might see how easy the Linux instructions posted here look...