BIZARRE problem and internal rattle: Droid 2Support

Last Updated:

1. Eric S

Eric S Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I am new to the forum and have enjoyed reading through the threads. Earlier today, as I was attempting to end a call on my Droid 2, the touchscreen didn't work, the band at the top of the screen changed color, and then the phone turned off. It took about two minutes before I was able to turn it back on again, and when I did, it had four updates for me. Plus, I then noticed a tiny rattling noise if I gently shake the phone near my ear.

I am wondering if the strange shut-down could be due to pressing the end button after the call at the same time as the initiation of downloading updates? Maybe this is just a fluke(?)... Separately, does anyone else have a slight ratting noise when they gently shake the phone? This happens with the phone on and off and without the battery too. I don't know if maybe it's the gravity sensor that tells the phone which way is up. I'm wondering if the strange shut-down is what made me so critical as to notice this rattle and perhaps that's not a problem.

The phone is within the 30-day return period so I am trying to figure out what to do...

Thanks very much,
    Eric

Advertisement
  2. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member VIP Member

I'd take it in to the store, if you can replicate the malfunction they'll replace it immediately, if you explain it to them I'm sure they'll work with you to get it fixed or replaced as well.

3. Eric S

Thank you. I have not had the end-call/shut down issue since yesterday, but I'll see if it occurs again. Plus, there's a guy at my office who just got a Droid 2 and he has the same rattle, so I'm thinking it's the gravity sensor or some other moving part in there. It's quite faint so not a clear problem. Does yours have a slight rattle when you gently shake the phone by your ear?

Thanks!

4. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member VIP Member

It sorta does, almost like the faint noise when the auto focus mechanism moves right before taking a picture.

5. AdamDanger

AdamDanger New Member

Are you sure the rattling isn't the volume key? Mine seems slightly loose enough that it makes a faint rattle noise.

6. Eric S

It's not the volume keys on mine. It's something inside. I don't know if it has anything to do with the camera; it just sounds like a rattle. I'm guessing it's normal since the other guy in my office with a D2 (his is under a week old) does this as well. However, the regular Droids in the office do not...

7. Eric S

It's the ear phone jack - specifically, the highest (ground) prong. Earphones work so I don't know if this is a common issue or I should try to get a new phone. My ipod doesn't do it, but I've heard of ear phone jacks in general sometimes doing this. It is kinda annoying...