Black HTC Desire in Canada

Last Updated:

1. Habalabala

Habalabala Member This Topic's Starter

hello new to the forums and was planning to get an android for my next phone. Im planning to ebay an unlocked black htc desire off ebay, its from the uk and has the orange logo on it.

Thing is i live in Canada and i was planning to use it with Rogers. Will the phone work on Rogers 3g network or do they have different 3g bands?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. LANoormohamed

LANoormohamed Member

yes they have. we have diffrent 3g bands to you. i was in canada last month and i could only get edge from my HTC Desire on rogers. i dont reccomend you getting it from the UK. i would advise you to wait for it to come out in your country or get one that supports your countys bands

hope this is useful

Habalabala likes this.
  3. Habalabala

ah that sucks since the black is exclusive to the uk. So i will be stuck with the htc desires that telus sells and other retailers in canada?

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Unfortunately so. However, Orange ROMS on HTC phones in my experience have not been without their problems. I bought an "unlocked" Orange HTC Hero, only to find it wasn't unlocked AND there was a bug in the Orange ROM which meant it wouldn't accept unlock codes.

Ahh the good old days. My first experience of rooting.

5. Habalabala

mm well thanks for the reply!
    i wonder if anyone else has imported a phone from the uk that would be able to help

6. anm00727

anm00727 Member

yea, you will only be able to use edge since the 3g are difference fequencies. so european phones wont work unfortunately. I wanted a black one too, but had to give dup the dream to grab one from telus on launch day (im also on rogers)

7. opplife

opplife Well-Known Member

Its the same phone bud. Sure a bit more black but big deal Lol

8. Habalabala

but black is sooooo sexy oh well guess i'll get the silver one they sell here just dont want the stock brown cause it looks so bad

9. HTC_Desire

HTC_Desire Well-Known Member

I had really wanted a black one, but settled for what T-Mobile gave me, which was the browny bronze looking one, which to be fair I actually quite liked anyway. Friend of mine then got his from Orange and got a black one, and I hated it. Personal preference only, but it just doesn't look anywhere near as nice to me in the flesh, so given the option, I certainly wouldn't swap now.

To be fair, I do have the smoky black gel case on it, and I just love the combination of colours, and to me it looks great.

Regards
    Ken.................

10. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I like the brown.

11. Tunga

Tunga Well-Known Member

It's a tiny strip of "brown" (which is more like bronze) around the screen, I really wouldn't base your purchasing decision on it. The back of the phone, and around the buttons, is black regardless.

12. Habalabala

ah i guess that is true, its pretty pointless to spend a couple hundered dollars more for a different color

13. LANoormohamed

LANoormohamed Member

lol tbh the black isnt that good looking in realty on the net it looks really good like someone said a few posts above. "i would not swap" i totally agree with that statement the brown colour sorta grows on you.

but yeah your better off with telus.

personally im not a big fan of CDMA networks. but all i know since i've been there rogers is aweful and expensive.

14. LANoormohamed

LANoormohamed Member

oh i forgot to mention with the black one it comes orange branding, same as the brown one from orange. it drove me nuts. with all the orange software,games(trials) etc.... after a week i could not take it so i was forced to root and put on a stock rom which was scary since i was new to android, and the funny thing i had about 20mb more mem after.

hope this Helps

LA

15. ennx

ennx Member

Only Telus has the Desire in Canada. No European or Asian 3G phone will work with North American 3G networks. You get EDGE, and that's it. And to the non-fan of CDMA, Telus is now GSM and the Telus Desire is a GSM phone.

16. Habalabala

yeah im not a big fan of cdma but im planning to buy the desire from telus or some random phone store where i live, unlocking it and going on rogers because telus customer service sucks.

17. Enigma644

Enigma644 New Member

I have a black HTC Desire from Orange UK (A8181). I moved to Canada last week and I can confirm that I can only get Edge :-( I've called Rogers tech support a number of times but they're highly unhelpful.

Rogers tech told me that 3G should be working on 900 and 2100 and told me to try rebooting (like I'd not tried that?!). They're not a particularly bright bunch!

In all honesty I've not really noticed much difference with Edge vs 3G except with Google maps. Maps are noticably slower, but with stuff like email and app downloading, it mostly happens in the background and you don't really notice it.

That said, as soon as the new HTC Desire HD comes out, I'll probably stick my black desire on ebay and get a new Canada compatible HTC Desire HD.

If the HD takes ages to come out, I may get a silver desire and try swapping the cases myself ;-)

18. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Depending on where you live, WIND mobile should work with those bands but WIND is limited to big cities (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal). Otherwise don't get a phone from EU or Asia without comparing available bands, Canada's general bands are 850/1900 while most EU are 900/2100. And yes Telus CS are among the worst.

Also don't count on the Desire HD to come to Canada, there's the Desire Z coming to Bell from what I heard.

19. SpicyTacoto

SpicyTacoto Well-Known Member

And you think Robbers is better than TELUS?! In what parallel universe is this true?