• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Black notification bar with new update??

No.

Notification bars are part of the framework-res.apk, which is in /system. /system is protected and requires root to edit, and therefor no modifications can be done to it without root.

The best you can do is to find a home replacement app like Home++ and just hide it all together.

OK, but what if you are rooted? I "made the leap" to root two days ago, don't really want to install alternate ROMs, but I want a black notification bar... any way?

Edit: Never mind... a little searching goes a long way, eh? :eek:

I found this thread, downloading Metamorph now.

Edit2: oops, Titanium Backup said yesterday it had installed busybox, but Metamorph said not installed.... now I gotta go find that too, not on Market.

Upvote 0
OK, but what if you are rooted? I "made the leap" to root two days ago, don't really want to install alternate ROMs, but I want a black notification bar... any way?

Edit: Never mind... a little searching goes a long way, eh? :eek:

I found this thread, downloading Metamorph now.

Edit2: oops, Titanium Backup said yesterday it had installed busybox, but Metamorph said not installed.... now I gotta go find that too, not on Market.

If you go into Titanium Backup and press the "Problems?" button it'll reinstall busybox. That fixes issues sometimes.

Upvote 0
Thanks shadowdude, but I tried that... even uninstalled and re-installed Titanium, hit the "problems" button and let it re-install busybox... still no luck.

But, I searched this forum for "metamorph" (titles only) and found somewhere to download the busybox binaries, then found This Thread, and thanks to the detailed instructions from OMJ, I used ADB to push busybox to my phone.

Metamorph is running "as we speak"... now if I can just find that thread again with the links to download Smoked Glass theme, I'll be golden! ;)

p.s. THIS FORUM ROCKS! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones