BLACK or BROWN ?

Last Updated:

1. norths

norths New Member This Topic's Starter

I have the option to get a Black HTC Desire or the Brown one. Both are the same price, but the Black one is Orange branded, while the Brown is a factory unlocked version with no branding.

The Black one does look better in my opinion but is it worth it with the issues that arise when updating software (phone locked, wifi issues) when it seems to me the factory setting one will be easier to root and update?

What do you guys think?

Advertisement
  2. veloce

veloce Active Member

Im waiting on my 2nd (hopefully working this time!) black Desire on Orange and I would say the black looks better.

I hope to root mine soon after getting it, and with all the guides and advice available here, I dont think it should be a problem.

3. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

I hear that the crap Orange put on the device isn't worth the mild aesthetic benefits.

4. veloce

veloce Active Member

some people find it intrusive, others here aren't bothered.

I wont be able to resist tinkering with mine so rooting it is a given

5. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

I got the black model from Orange and I'm very happy with it. Got a smoked black gel case that protects the back and edges from eBay and it really looks good!

The Orange software can be avoided and I use other apps instead of the Orange pre-loaded stuff, the only issue is that the Orange apps remain in the programs list and they can't be deleted without tinkering and debranding. To be honest, I never notice they are there!

The only physical Orange branding is the logo on the rear battery cover, which is covered by my gel case. I haven't looked for it but I'm sure there must be a replacement black battery cover available somewhere with just the HTC logo.

6. veloce

veloce Active Member

what is the name of this case?

7. Tunga

Tunga Well-Known Member

The "brown" on the phone is just a thin band around the screen, everything else is black. I would seriously recommend getting an unlocked/unbranded version if you want to root/flash the device at all, it will make things a lot easier.

I was really put off by the idea of a brown phone but in reality it's more like a copper/bronze colour around the egde of the screen, I don't even notice it. In some lights it even looks more like a slightly off-silver.

Most cases will cover part of the brown section too.

8. ziggy1024

ziggy1024 Well-Known Member

I prefer the brown anyway - it's actually a really nice colour as mentioned above. All black just looks a bit dull IMO, & combined with the Orangification, I'd definitely go brown!

9. Nathan Baxter

Nathan Baxter Active Member

It's not brown, it's dark bronze! ;)

At least that's what I'm sticking with to go with my steampunk screen layout :D

10. Bexy

Bexy Well-Known Member

My partner wanted the black one but, ended up with the brown one (got it sim free so :p). And we were slightly disappointed when we got it back and found it to be brown but, it's grown on us, and we really like it. Also you can hardly tell it's brown once in a case. Got a black case, bit of the brown shows through, goes really well together. If I had the option, I'd go for the unbranded brown. The only way I'd go for branded is it it were a hideous color for the unlocked/unbranded one. But it's just as smart in brown, perhaps more so, i think so anyway :).

11. qprjim

qprjim Well-Known Member

if I was u, I'd go with the unbranded bronze/brown. I've got the orange branded black one and although the orange "gunk" is not on any of my home screens, it still gets on my nerves knowing it's still on my "little bundle of joy". Plus like it's been said, by the time u put a case on it, u won't even notice the colour.

12. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I didn't know eBay could damage the back or edges

RDRR

;)

13. gbp

gbp New Member

I LOL'd at RDRR...

A friend of mine has the black Desire and it does look nice and sleek and just a bit different to all the other Brown Bronze ones...

~

14. Eris Ed

It's a "FlexiCase soft gel case for HTC Desire" from eBay seller "dshop347". Comes in a few different colours too. The photo on eBay may be a little off-putting - the black resin case looks like polished gloss but it's actually a dark smoke grey that is semi-transparent. The photos have a slightly off aspect ratio too, making the phone look like a fatty! It's actually quite thin and fits the phone perfectly. I like it because it leaves the screen and front buttons clear.

15. Eris Ed

Haha! :D

16. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member

Mmmm, black....

[​IMG]