• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Black or White

debated for a few minutes... saw that the phones were selling out fast (16gb)... decided to go with WHITE 32GB! *i always had a black phone. time to change it up a bit imo... only for a year! til the next nexus comes out. :p by then i'll know if white isn't for me.

the white speaker grill might be off-putting watching videos but then i have my nexus 7/chromecast for that. and perhaps having a noticeable speaker grill, i'd be able to tell which side is up! :p

also, went with 32gb as the camera now has OIS. maybe with this improvement, it'd be more enjoyable to take pics/vids this time around.

Upvote 0
I love me some Panda!

If I'm being honest it has to do with at bit of geek chic as well. Most black phones look the same from more than a few feet away. I have a GNex and when the S3 came out for the first month I got "Is that one of the new phones?". After the S4 came out for the first month I got "Is that one of the new phones?".

The white N5 back is very destructive. You will be able to spot that thing from a block away. Represent Yo!

Upvote 0
I landed up doing white, but now I'm wonder what the texture of the back will be like. Everything I've read says its a silky feeling, so hopefully it gain a blue tint from denim or get to dirty.

From what I've read, the N5 has the same "rubbery" soft touch material on the back as the N7 2013. I have an N7 2013 and the backing is very nice. Not sure how it will react to the blue dye in denim.

Upvote 0
Will go with Black, because honestly I'm going to stick it in a diztronic matte case anyway. Plus I'm also a fan of a phone being either black or white, not half and half. IMO they should have made the whole front white. Either way going with the stealth look.

I agree. All-white would have been nice, but since they only went half way with the white, I bought the black one. There is one thing that I found odd. I figured that the reason they only made the back white was to keep the number of different parts to a minimum. I guess I was wrong about that, though, because the sides of the white model are gloss black, while the sides of the black model are matte black. Since the sides are different between those two models anyway, I don't understand why they didn't just make the sides white on the white model.

Upvote 0
I ordered a White 32GB because I like white phones, but when I had a black iphone and then a white iphone I noticed the black bezel makes the screen seem larger. So its a plus for me that I can have a white phone with a black front to give that screen a little oomph, as the contrast makes the screen look a tad crisper as well. And the white speaker grill is nice because I'll know what side is up and where to hold it on my face. Even with a case the white grill fits. So to summarize, what I'm saying is the white is perfect for subtle reasons.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones