Black Pixel GridSupport

Last Updated:

1. money6891

money6891 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had put a Phantom Skinz screen protector on my phone and have been using it with no problems for over 2 weeks. This morning, I began noticing a large amount of rainbow-colored pixels all over the screen which would change colors as I tilted my phone at different angles. I took my screen protector off and immediately noticed the absence of any more rainbow-pixels all over my screen. I have now began to notice a black grid of pixels that spaces out wach pixel about 1/2 cm apart. This grid is barely noticeable until I have green displaying on the screen, which brings out these black dots. When I tilt the screen, they seem to be "flashing" black. I have tried restarting my phone and pulling out my battery but the grid is still there. Do I need to return my phone to Verizon? Thanks for any ideas!

Advertisement
  2. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

The rainbow you were seeing is the accumulation of olis from your face and the Black Grid you are seeing is because the capacative touch-screen contains a grid of sensing lines and driving lines to determine where the user is touching.

money6891 likes this.
  3. money6891

The rainbow wasn't covering a large area, it was only tiny little dots in different areas of the screen.

I had never noticed this black grid before and now I constantly see these black dots over my screen. When there is something green, it only makes the dots show up more, although they are still noticeable in any other background. Every time I use my phone I see these black dots over the screen.

Thanks for the quick response. Are there any possibilities that the grid could be something else?

4. GrandMasterB

I used the Phantom Skinz on my last 3 devices and it would get the rainbow effect from the oils on my face, so I know exactly what you are talking about and its not easy to clean. I don't use the military grade protectors anymore.

The black grid, my Incredible has the exact same grid you are talking about but you can only see it in certain lighting conditions and my Moto Droid had it as well. I have a screen protector on right now and cannot see it but once you pull it off it is easily visible.

Somebody else is welcome to chime in but I am confident its the capacitive grid that you are seeing.

money6891 likes this.
  5. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Yes its like that on all android phones. Its the touch screen interface.

money6891 likes this.
  6. money6891

Thanks for the imput guys. At least I know now that I won't be needing to send this phone in.

After I apply my second Phantom Skinz, how would you recommend I clean off any of the rainbow dots if I see them again?

7. GrandMasterB

I always used a warm wet paper towel or you can quickly wipe it with a lint free cloth and 70% Isopropyl Alcohol.