• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Black/purple screen s3

A4M3D

Lurker
Jan 9, 2015
Hi all,

I have been searching this problem on forums and have not found any solution yet. The phone stay in the contact black screen and I am able to use the touch functionality to unlock my phone and even send whatsapp messages. The screen did briefly come to life when I had left the phone alone for a few hours and it was working fine until I locked my phone and the same problem persisted.

I did have the screen glass replaced after it had shattered by a relative of mine and it has started flickering since then. I am complete stomped and need some guidance on what to do.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a loose connection for the screen to me. I'm not sure about newer devices but older ones connected with a ribbon connector that "plugged"into the mother board (a bit like a pressed stud on an item of clothing). You had to be quiet firm with them and use a flat blade screwdriver (4mm - was ideal, not a small tool to take to micro electronics) and push it square into the socket with an audible and feelable"click".

Upvote 0
Thank for your reply dynomot.

The brightness settings has also been changing based on where (around the frame) my fingers were located ie. the soft keys/ homebutton and the top side (near the camera). Sometimes half the screen froze while the other half operating fine and I had to touch the housing of the screen (firmly) in order for it to work. The screen has blacked out before and after firmly pressing down on soft keys it has worked; This is after I had the glass replaced. Taking this into consideration, would you still think it is a connector issue?

Is it possible for the touchscreen to work if the LCD screen is damaged? Can I put an LCD (from a different s3 model) into my current model?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones