Black screen, No Lights on my HTC Desire HDSupport

Last Updated:

1. ric_bee

ric_bee New Member

Please help me fix my problem on my HTC Desire HD.

This morning, I was charging my said phone. While charging, I was also listening to Tune-In and browsing the Advanced English and Thesaurus (W) application. Innocently, I pressed the "More Dictionaries" menu option on the W application and my phone froze and the screen went black. My phone's buttons and menu options were not working, so I removed and pulled the battery and re-inserted it again. But, this procedure was to no avail because I still have a lifeless HTC DHD on my hand - black screen without lights - after the restart.

What intrigues me is that my said phone rings and vibrates whenever I dial the sim no. inserted on it. However, I can't still receive the incoming call because the buttons and/or menu options are not working and the screen is dead.

Please help me fix my phone. Tnx.

2. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

Personally I'd be doing a Factory reset by powering it off and then powering on with the power and vol- keys pressed and held together to get into the bootloader. However doing this will obviously remove all your data etc and without a screen to use you are going to struggle to backup anything. Also there is no guarantee it will work if it is a hardware issue, which if it doesn't will feel like a kick in the teeth but you must rule out the software side. I think the app you were using could be at fault and should you get your phone working again post reset I'd remove it immediately and inform the author of the app.
  3. ric_bee

ric_bee New Member

Thank you stublake13. Is there any other option than the factory reset?

I forgot to mention that I also upgraded to 32 gb Sandisk microsd (from 8gb factory) about 3-4 months ago. There was no major problem after that upgrade until this one. I still have my 8gb microsd. I am also thinking of replacing the 32gb and re-mounting the original 8gb. What do you think?
  4. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

I don't think this will be related to your SD Card unless said app was installed on it. If so yes by all means try swapping it out. Try anything you can think of until your left with nothing else and at this point hard reset. However I can't see any other options should the app be installed on the phone memory and not the sd card.
  5. stephanieleew

stephanieleew New Member

can someone please help me this morning i recieved an htc desire hd phone for christmas and my husband said on christmas eve (last night) he turned it on and set it up for me, turned it off wrapped it up and when i opened it and unboxed the screen would not turn on the phone buttons on the bottom of the phone itself light up and sometimes it vibrated to tell me its on and sometimes i can get it to make sounds but otherwise i have a black screen on a never used phone and i dont know how to fix tried to do a hard factory reset but without being able to see the 3 icons that need to pop up i cannot reset it, please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
  6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Have you tried charging it again? How about pulling the battery and re inserting?
  7. handyandy

handyandy Member

OP, did you get this fixed? I have exactly the same problem; working fine one moment, then blank screen and function buttons.

I have tried removing the battery (and the SIM and storage card) with no effect. Have also tried to do a factory reset but without a screen it is difficult to know whether it has reset.

The phone itself is working; the phone rings when called and I can hear the Skype signing in sounds etc. The screen backlight works so hopefully it is just a software glitch.

Any advice welcome. Oh, the joys of HTC ownership.

8. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

I think this is related to the launcher being poorly managed in priority to other things running on the phone. After overclocking mine I would often encounter this issue and have to pull the battery to get it back quickly or leave it until it sorted itself out (which it did but could be anywhere from 15mins to 3hrs lol). The V6 Supercharger script you will see under mods in my sig upgrades the priority of the launcher and closes other apps on a stricter bases to ensure there are always enough resources for my launcher/Sense. It would appear the handsets suffering must have a resource hogging app somewhere causing the launcher to become unresponsive and freeze when the screen goes off and you try to wake it up again. Can those who suffer from this let me know if a battery pull sorts it (even if momentarily) and I can look for a non root software solution for you.