Black Screen on S3Support

1. jason_85

jason_85 Member

Hi,

This morning i was trying to fit my case and now my screen is balck and i can't see anything.

I am worried i might of hit some buttons to change the brightness or something along those lines. Unfortunately i cannot see anything in order to fix this and due to the visibilty i can't factory reset.

Any tips?? The notification falshes as well as the buttons light up eitehr side of the home button.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Welcome to AF!
    Try pulling the battery and put it back in, the power up.
  3. jason_85

jason_85 Member

Thanks!

I have tried that with no luck. I have done some searchs and read there might be a connection/cable issue with the screen. any idea how valid this is and how to fix?
  4. Mikestony

Now that I don't know. However, before you try my next suggestion, perhaps someone could validate this:
    boot into your stock recovery by shutting the phone off...and while holding the home button/volume up button, press and hold power. (at this point you will be holding down all 3 buttons), until your recovery screen comes up.
    Now, being rooted myself, I do not know what options in the stock recovery are.
    But I would surmise there would be an option to factory reset, or clear storage or something to that effect.
    Like I said, I rooted from the beginning, and I don't even know if the stock recovery is accessible if not rooted, or, if there is an option to factory reset in there.
    That is why I would like someone else's opinion about my suggestion:)
  5. Mikestony

I find it odd that you were only trying on the case. Does the case cover the proximity sensor? located , i believe, to the left of the front camera?
  6. jason_85

jason_85 Member

Same!

Close, but i have removed the case and screen protector and then restarted once the battery was removed as i have read before the sensor may impeded it.

On a restart i don't even see the samsung boot up screen
  7. GoldenDiamond

GoldenDiamond Well-Known Member

might be just a defective phone, how long have you had it?
  8. jason_85

jason_85 Member

only a month
  9. Mikestony

Very odd I think. I assume you can exchange it for another if no other solution is posted here.
  10. jason_85

jason_85 Member

Hopefully a solution pops up. The screen connection one sounds interesting.

I don't really want to go through the whole warranty claim as this traditionally takes an extremely long time here in Aus.
  11. Mikestony

If it is in fact, a screen connection thing, then there is nothing you can do about that barring taking the phone apart:eek:
    Seems coincidental to your case install tho eh?
  12. jason_85

jason_85 Member

indeed. and obviously taking the phone apart will void my warranty.
  13. GoldenDiamond

GoldenDiamond Well-Known Member

but if you still have your warranty, you should be able to get it exchanged.

you could have possibly pressed too hard on a spot but even then, it shouldn't happen.
    I would use the warranty and get a completely new one.
  14. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Lets first establish - when you pulled the battery out, did you see the boot animation?

If you did not, its definitely hardware. If you did, it's definitely not hardware
    Mikestony likes this.
  15. jason_85

jason_85 Member

nope didnt see anything. can still ring the phone and receive msgs................ just cant see them
  16. SUroot

OK so its hardware. Call whoever you need to for warranty.
    jason_85 likes this.
  17. jason_85

jason_85 Member

Thanks

Ill start the painful warranty/waiting process
  18. SUroot

good luck. It may be lengthy but its worth having a fixed device at teh end :)
  19. kingjavs

kingjavs Well-Known Member

I had the same problem, it appeared to be the LCD/Digitizer. This causes the screen to go blank, but everything else still works, music/calls/texts. I live in the US, took it to an ATT store, and were able to send me a new one(probably refurbished) next day. I dont think there is a way to fix it without dissembling your phone, and even then it would be expensive, like suroot said your best bet is to try and claim the warranty.
  20. jason_85

jason_85 Member

thanks everyone for your help
  21. Annoyed82

Annoyed82 New Member

Don't be foolish and try fixing it yourself. This appears to be a case of your device being defective, in which case you are covered by the warranty. Just be happy that it happened now and not a year from now.