Black SpotsGeneral

Last Updated: 2014-06-25 14:59:36
  1. dbvirago

dbvirago Well-Known Member

I have seen threads on here about black spots when the screen is dark, but I have large black splotches on a normal screen. There is now a third. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone seen this on a bionic?

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Never seen that on my phone. You say this is your third replacement phone and all three have had this issue?
  3. dbvirago

No, sorry. I have a third splotch on this phone. It started as a single black line. The black lines grew and spread and then rolled up into a spot. Then a second spot appeared. They have been there for weeks. A third spot sprang up last week.
  4. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Did you try wiping them off? Just Kidding...

Are they there all the time? It looks like a hardware issue to me, but I'm far from an expert. Are you rooted? Whether you are or not, have you tried a factory reset back to stock? I jumped in here because I've never seen anything like that before. I've seen black lines and dead pixels, but not black splotches. You may have to try getting a replacement through Verizon.

BigRedGonzo
  5. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

You cooked the LCD panel and broke the liquid cells. The only way to fix that is a new panel. If you leave your phone in hot places like on the dash in your car it will be prone to this. Might I suggest a Razr with an AMOLED screen next time? That way you will just cook a battery.
    eklapointe123 and johnlgalt like this.
  6. dbvirago

Thanks. Phone is always either in my pocket or on my desk. Never left it anywhere hot that I remember. The last one happened during a flight - would altitude/air pressure do it?

I'm getting a bionic in a day or two. How is the screen on it?
  7. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Same technology as the X. I have seen this on several X's. I assumed you had a Bionic since this is a Bionic forum. What phone do you have?
  8. kxs783kms

kxs783kms Well-Known Member

LOL....I have these same spots on my Droid X. Thought it was something I did, but it looks like it might be something that will happen to some of these phone over time.
  9. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

I've had my Droid X for almost three years and my Bionic for six months. The spots have not appeared on either of them.

... Thom
  10. New Rising

New Rising Well-Known Member

You're a guide now thom? congratuations :)
  11. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Thank you.

... Thom
  12. DanDroide

DanDroide Well-Known Member

Stop Drinking!!!

Splotches will go away in a few weeks. :)
  13. johnlgalt

[hijack]
    'Gratz, Thom!
    [/hijack]
  14. dbvirago

That sounds good Thom.

Lars, I have the Droid X now with splotches. Bionic should get here tomorrow. I posted in both forums, but admin deleted the one in the X forum for cross posting. I wanted to ask other X owners if they had it and Bionic owners if they had seen it.

Hopefully if it happens on the Bionic it will happen in first year.
  15. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member Guide

16. johnlgalt

The forum friendly way to do it is post in one forum, and then make a new post in another forum linking to your first post. That's a (quasi) acceptable form of crossposting. I say quasi b/c if you're first post or the subsequent posts are deemed spam, then of course they'll still get deleted....
  17. qwelton

qwelton New Member

This happened to my droidX.
    I think it has to do with heat because it gets worse every time I go outside and it's hot, although I have never left it in direct sunlight. I even cover it when it is sitting on my passenger seat.

heard from the verizon guy it is a pretty common occurance with droidX. they nor motorola gave a **** and said i was SOL.

The weird part is that it is moving around. i have one dark spot te size of a pea that was in the middle and now is closer to the side so the screen isn't damaged. i think i'm going to get a magnet and see if i can move the spot since it can move and the area it was isnt affected. it doesnt appear to be the battery since I can hold the battery to just barely connected and the spots remain...

:mad:
  18. dbvirago

Just saw this thread was revived. No problems with new Droid Bionic. Still using the old one as a wi-fi only device. Problem hasn't gotten better or worse since
  19. Joe Eris

Joe Eris Well-Known Member

I'm no doctor, but I think your phone may have screen cancer.
  20. eklapointe123

eklapointe123 New Member

You're so right about heat. I left mine in the car but not on dash. As soon as I saw my phone I knew some how between the heat that rose in the car and perhaps some Sun hit my phone that that's what happened. My screen has been shattered for at least a year and my Atrix 2 still going but soon I will be upgrading.